Trouble removing blades from shafts... - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

, Washington
Trouble removing blades from shafts...

My dad is trying to remove a sawyer dynalite blade from his cataract shaft. He has had no problem working the screw, but cannot get the blade and shaft to separate once the screw is disengaged. Any recommendations? Anyone had this problem? Unfortunately I’m a couple states away and he’s not tech savvy enough to post, so here I am asking his question for him. Thanks in advance.

WaZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Try a heat gun (or hair dryer), need to work the area for a good five minutes or more and then two pairs of hands twisting shaft and blade in opposite directions while pulling apart.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

, Washington
Great advice! Thanks!
WaZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1991
If you have a vise with pipe jaws, use it to hold the shaft. Then you can really torque on the blade with both hands. After it's off, clean both mating surfaces and apply silicone spray for next time. I'm assuming that he does know that with Sawyer shafts you have to turn the plastic screw INWARDS to clear the hole in the blade. It took me awhile to figure that out the first time.
markchengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Not helpful for removing blades but

Sarah told me once to use household clear silicone caulking smeared all over the blade shaft in the screw hole they slide out like a dream no matter how how long you leave that together the silicone will not adhere to the shaft or blade surface it actually is kind of like a lubricant
RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Put the blade under the trailer/truck tire and give it hell. Lubricant in some fashion can help, this is a common bullshit issue. Iíve ground the stubs of my dynalites down so they fit on my shafts. The only definitive solution is to sell said oars and buy squaretops. I donít know who has shitty manufacturing tolerances, sawyer or cataract but my money is on sawyer.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

La Plata, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
I recently did this same thing. I put the shaft in a vice with padding to keep from chewing up the shaft. Then I put a little WD40 into the hole where the set screw is and tried to spray between the shaft and blade. Then I did not pull I twisted the blade until I got the lube around the blade and it slid right off without a problem.
Taosgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
Put the blade under the trailer/truck tire and give it hell. Lubricant in some fashion can help, this is a common bullshit issue. Iíve ground the stubs of my dynalites down so they fit on my shafts. The only definitive solution is to sell said oars and buy squaretops. I donít know who has shitty manufacturing tolerances, sawyer or cataract but my money is on sawyer.
I would agree considering that Advanced Composites, the parent company of Cataract mainly works in the Aerospace Industry, I'm guessing they have tighter tolerances as well as better QC checks on product.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote