Tributary 14hd- Frame setup options? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Tributary 14hd- Frame setup options?

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. Long time boater here, most experience is with C-boating and kayaking, although I did guide rafts for a season and have rowed the GC in a rented boat. I'm working on building a raft rig to get into multi-days with my small family.

I'm looking for frame recommendations for a Tributary 14HD. It only has a 68" flat surface area. So far, I am considering the NRS Bighorn I. Anyone running this setup and care to share pics/advice or rig details? Any other frames I should consider?

Thanks so much!

PinchPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If this is your first time outfitting your own raft, I would agree with your idea to use an NRS frame. Way easier to move the rails around until you understand what you like best.

(Not sure if your prior season was doing overnights/multidays or day trips? Definitely a difference between a 14' boat and a 5-bay 18' GC outfitter boat for gear placement.)

what are your home rivers?

The 14.0HD is a great boat. (I have a 13.0 and a 156R)
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
If this is your first time outfitting your own raft, I would agree with your idea to use an NRS frame. Way easier to move the rails around until you understand what you like best.

(Not sure if your prior season was doing overnights/multidays or day trips? Definitely a difference between a 14' boat and a 5-bay 18' GC outfitter boat for gear placement.)

what are your home rivers?

The 14.0HD is a great boat. (I have a 13.0 and a 156R)
Thanks for the reply! Home rivers are here in the Southeast- French Broad, Nolichucky, New, Gauley, Chattooga. Our raft will be used primarily as a paddle raft, but we are planning *Fingers Crossed for Permits* to start getting out west again on our own - San Juan, Main Salmon, Deso, etc.
If we strike out on permits, I'd like to still plan to get on the lower main salmon in late July/early August this year.
I guided day trips on the White Salmon in Washington with paddle crews.
We did rent an 18' NRS boat which was awesome at 20,000cfs on the GC.

Just looking for ideas on rigging the tributary 14 HD with a Bighorn 1 or similar: Cooler placement, dry box(s), etc.
Thanks!
PinchPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
On a basic overnight frame setup, you basically choose to:
Sit on the dry box
Sit on the cooler
Use a flip up seat over either the dry box or cooler.

It really is personal preference, My wife and I are VERY different heights so we row from the dry box with no seat. It makes it much easier to fit both of us for quick change outs and then we have our foot bar on some hollander fittings so that it can be adjusted in under 30 seconds. A t-handle allen wrench lives in our captains bag dedicated for this purpose. I like the cooler up front so that it is easier to get in and out of at camp.

The biggest thing for me is an everything bag in the stern. It is by far my favorite piece of gear and makes rigging so much faster and neater.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have a 143e, similar specs to your boat and a similar NRS frame.

I have a canyon cooler prospector (they sit right on the frame super cool)in the front bay, water jugs/ trash buckets in the towers bay. I sit on a dry box with a pad and stuff the rest of my schtuff in a santa bag in the back they sure make loading and unloading fast. I have some photos of my setup somewhere I'm happy to shoot them over or talk you through why I've done things the way I have, shoot me your number if you're interested.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Anything over 14' would be enormous on your local rivers!

What the other posters said:

Usually sit on my drybox and run the cooler in front. The cooler is heavier/more dense and you usually want to run that up front if you ever get in the wrong place in a wave or hole so your weight is through it before the rest of the raft gets there. Weight back means a more likely flip.

I don't have a newer Canyon cooler...I'm still rocking an early Canyon/Galaxy cooler, but it's working so well I haven't justified a Prospector/Navigator. The Navigator is a bit large for a 14' raft, so go with the Prospector. It's a great fit in a 13-14' boat. They're optimized for frame/rafting use, I can't see buying anything else.

Instead of a drybox you can also run a row of ammo cans, but they're awfully heavy for the volume they store. Figure $30/ea on (5) ammo cans and you're almost halfway to the value of a drybox.

Like the other two said, an everything/santa bag is the way to go. So much easier than trying to strap everything individually. Usually it's drybags with tent/chairs/sleeping bags/clothes so bulky but not heavy.

I don't like flip seats, so I strap my PVC pad flat over the drybox and sit on it.

For the lower Salmon in late July/early August, I'd seriously consider a $120 eBay bimini or a $40 umbrella.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Ditto to a cheap Bimini, Amazon has them too. Also thumbs up for sitting on a paco pad they can make recliners with a pile of stuff in the santa bag, they're nice up front for passengers too and keep the sun off your cooler. Bonus with the cooler up front you can have your passengers grab you beverages for you or turn it around so you can access it from your throne.

Here's a general idea of how my setup is laid out. The sideboards are really nice for a place to walk, drink holders and a place to mount a bimini.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191124_151338380_HDR_1580769137611.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	957.5 KB
ID:	42185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191124_151319453_HDR_1580769302525.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	941.2 KB
ID:	42201  

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
With the santa bag, I tend to beach my raft stern-first as that best enables us to unload the majority of our gear from the beach with minimal walking on the raft.

I have a 4th bay in my 15.5 and the propane/beer go in the drop bag under a bench seat in the 4th bay front of the cooler) and only getting water/propane and shopping from the cooler require a walk on the boat while in camp.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
$5 shower

Historic Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I have the same boat. I went with the bighorn frame and when I got it on my boat, it sure looks like I could run another 12" of frame.

I'd like to see what the hive thinks but I'd get my boat and measure it and plan from there, the NRS recommendations don't make any sense.

Monkey see...I have the same setup as several who have posted, I sit on my dry box with a flip seat and I have a Yeti cooler in front with a pacific river bag in back...and amazon bimini. I've installed nrs side boards along the front two bays.

I find that with a full sized human sitting on my cooler they don't have enough headroom under the bimini...and my view gets blocked badly.

This spring, I intend to look into shortening the tower bay and getting some longer side rails so can have a front bay with a drop bag and dancefloor style deck. That way my px can sit down a little lower and get into the cooler without a major troop movement. I'd also like to have some bilge beneath that forward bay for trash during day trips and chairs and water during overnight trips.

my 0.025$
Flaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
I have the same boat. I went with the bighorn frame and when I got it on my boat, it sure looks like I could run another 12" of frame.

I'd like to see what the hive thinks but I'd get my boat and measure it and plan from there, the NRS recommendations don't make any sense.

I don't disagree--back when I used to run a 3-bay frame, I had complaints from passengers sitting on my cooler when I'd lose an oar and they'd get smacked in the back with a stray handle. Now when they sit on the 4th bay (and I hang onto my handles), it's not an issue.

You can't go WAY up onto the curve, but it seems that 6" front and rear won't be awful, and the 12" will be well-used. Seems you could fit (3)x 16" bays plus a 24" rower's bay plus (5) x 1.5" crossbars in an ~80" frame length.

Quote:
I find that with a full sized human sitting on my cooler they don't have enough headroom under the bimini...and my view gets blocked badly.

There are 48"h and 54"h biminis. Which do you have?

Quote:
I'd also like to have some bilge beneath that forward bay for trash during day trips and chairs and water during overnight trips.
I like my "stuff" in a drop bag so it's suspended from the frame and not rubbing directly on the floor.