Tributary 14hd- Frame setup options? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #31

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
I think this is maybe a slippery slope. DRE uses 1.5" tubing and welds the corners which could be an important distinction. My main boating pal made his own frame w fittings from frontier play and has had some problems. YMMV.

DRE also makes 1.25Ē frames. I donít know about them welding corners but they do swedge the corners to fit inside the pipe.

I do prefer the welded type footbar by DRE/AAA/CRS and others over the bent style of NRS. This gives a solid top bar to use as a bay.

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #32
Guppy Captain

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
My Trib Setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trib HD 14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	42279

Here is the setup I built with the the guys at 4CRS. I run a long frame so I don't have to sit on the dry box. The corners stick out a tad but the Trib is a little less rigid by design than other brands (due to the segmented construction). I think the longer frame is beneficial. I have a large drop bag under my seat which is quite handy for odd sized items. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. Have fun building your rig!
Burl Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #33
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
I wonder if I could find the two pieces of 78" aluminum at the lower price without taking a bath on shipping. NRS will send them to me for $150. A brief internet search didn't show another good option at that quantity.
Any local metal or industrial supplier will have it in stock or get it for you. It generally comes in 20" sticks and they will usually cut it for you for free. It looks like your local supply in Montrose would be Recla Metals. Their catalog says they have it.

Midwest steel is listing it at under $3/ft so that should give you an idea what to pay.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #34
Guppy Captain

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Since you can't really see it... there is a full size dry box behind my seat with water jugs mounted along each side (They fit perfectly within the frame rails). I use a "clam-shell" cover over the gear stacked in the stern. Everything rigs low and tight. The seating position is rather low as well... which I prefer.
Burl Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #35

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
I have a 14 foot boat with a rowframe Gary frame I put together three years ago that has been very satisfactory.

It's the common configuration many have mentioned:

Bay 1: wide bench seat/hatch over drop bag.
Bay 2: cooler
Bay 3: rower plus two rocket box slings
Bay 4: dry box/rower seat
Stern: Santa bag (awesome)
Side rails: wood deck with a couple ammo cans and water bottles strapped as needed.

I also have a 14 with Gary's frame. Front Dry box, 4 rocket boxes, rower bay, cooler to row from and a Pacific River bag in the back.

I am going to shorten it up this year to eliminate the heavy rocket boxes and set it up from my new Canyon Prospector: 13" Dry box in front, Canyon Prospector in next bay. rowers bay, 13" dry box to row from and the PRB in back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	42281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	42283  

Name:	DSCN1613.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	42285   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010054.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	42287  

John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl Haggard View Post
Attachment 42279

Here is the setup I built with the the guys at 4CRS. I run a long frame so I don't have to sit on the dry box. The corners stick out a tad but the Trib is a little less rigid by design than other brands (due to the segmented construction). I think the longer frame is beneficial. I have a large drop bag under my seat which is quite handy for odd sized items. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. Have fun building your rig!
Sweet setup!
PinchPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #37

I really appreciate all the input. Also, since i'm new to the rowframe game...are "Gary's frames" the same as rowframe.com?
Thanks!
PinchPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
I think this is maybe a slippery slope. DRE uses 1.5" tubing and welds the corners which could be an important distinction. My main boating pal made his own frame w fittings from frontier play and has had some problems. YMMV.

I wonder if I could find the two pieces of 78" aluminum at the lower price without taking a bath on shipping. NRS will send them to me for $150. A brief internet search didn't show another good option at that quantity.
I also use a single rail speedrail ladder frame (rowframe dot com Gary) and have had no problems. I do have pins through the fittings and my wooden decks act as gussets on the corners, so I can't really detect any movement in the frame after three years. I think I spent about half of what a similar NRS frame would cost, and it is based on the larger 1.5" pipe.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchPoint View Post
I really appreciate all the input. Also, since i'm new to the rowframe game...are "Gary's frames" the same as rowframe.com?
Thanks!
Yes.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #40

winter park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
John where is that red canyon in your pictures?
liltownhero is online now   Reply With Quote