Tributary 14hd- Frame setup options? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchPoint View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. Long time boater here, most experience is with C-boating and kayaking, although I did guide rafts for a season and have rowed the GC in a rented boat. I'm working on building a raft rig to get into multi-days with my small family.

I'm looking for frame recommendations for a Tributary 14HD. It only has a 68" flat surface area. So far, I am considering the NRS Bighorn I. Anyone running this setup and care to share pics/advice or rig details? Any other frames I should consider?

Thanks so much!
We have run 76" 4-bay frames on 14' Tributaries. The kick isn't very abrupt on the boat and our rounded corners allow for a little more length than a square corner frame. Give us a ring if you would like to go over some details.

Down River Equipment is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We run 78" x 66" NRS Compact Outfitter frames on all our Trib 14' Rental Boats. They fit great and give you 4 bays instead of 3. We run them with a Cambridge Drybox, Canyon Prospector and a Salamander SM Camp Table in the front bay and it all fits perfectly.
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Anything over 14' would be enormous on your local rivers!

What the other posters said:

Usually sit on my drybox and run the cooler in front. The cooler is heavier/more dense and you usually want to run that up front if you ever get in the wrong place in a wave or hole so your weight is through it before the rest of the raft gets there. Weight back means a more likely flip.

I don't have a newer Canyon cooler...I'm still rocking an early Canyon/Galaxy cooler, but it's working so well I haven't justified a Prospector/Navigator. The Navigator is a bit large for a 14' raft, so go with the Prospector. It's a great fit in a 13-14' boat. They're optimized for frame/rafting use, I can't see buying anything else.

Instead of a drybox you can also run a row of ammo cans, but they're awfully heavy for the volume they store. Figure $30/ea on (5) ammo cans and you're almost halfway to the value of a drybox.

Like the other two said, an everything/santa bag is the way to go. So much easier than trying to strap everything individually. Usually it's drybags with tent/chairs/sleeping bags/clothes so bulky but not heavy.

I don't like flip seats, so I strap my PVC pad flat over the drybox and sit on it.

For the lower Salmon in late July/early August, I'd seriously consider a $120 eBay bimini or a $40 umbrella.
Thanks! I'm definitely looking at getting a Canyon Cooler. I was torn between getting a bit smaller raft than a 14 footer but decided to go for it for the functionality. I've got a wife and an 8 year old that isn't getting any smaller so wanted to make sure we had the room on week long trips with the oar rig, and big enough to take another family paddle rafting on day trips.
PinchPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Ditto to a cheap Bimini, Amazon has them too. Also thumbs up for sitting on a paco pad they can make recliners with a pile of stuff in the santa bag, they're nice up front for passengers too and keep the sun off your cooler. Bonus with the cooler up front you can have your passengers grab you beverages for you or turn it around so you can access it from your throne.

Here's a general idea of how my setup is laid out. The sideboards are really nice for a place to walk, drink holders and a place to mount a bimini.
Thanks for the pictures. Did you add an extra crossbar to the bighorn I or is that a bighorn II?
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Canyon has/ had some prospectors in their "boneyard" for a price you won't beat, If decide if you want one I'd order asap while you can. Also $100 off might make the decision for you.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down River Equipment View Post
We have run 76" 4-bay frames on 14' Tributaries. The kick isn't very abrupt on the boat and our rounded corners allow for a little more length than a square corner frame. Give us a ring if you would like to go over some details.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give you a ring to chat frame options. Good to know folks are successfully running longer frames on Tributary 14 HD's without issue.
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I run a frame from gary strome on my Trib 14. You can extend beyond the flat section some.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Arnold, California
I have a 68” frame on my 13’ Spider. 15” drybox, 65 qt Pelican cooler, rower bay + a very small bay for a 20mm/water jug. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t add another 6”+ for the extra 1’ of boat. Especially if you go the style with rounded corners.

I have a Prospector for my 15’ boat and highly recommend it, especially from the boneyard.

With a kid or 2 there is an advantage of doing a drop bag & board for them to sit on. It gives a wider platform to sit or lounge on the river. On my larger boat I do ammo boxes under a board for kids in the front bay.

I don’t have one but thought a lot about an everything bag. Seems like a great thing, just haven’t pulled that trigger.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchPoint View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Did you add an extra crossbar to the bighorn I or is that a bighorn II?
I got it used, I beleive it started out as a Bighorn I. I did add an extra cross bar so my cooler and box could be cuddled. My frame is 60" wide and 68" long to give you an idea of fitment, I am a gangly person so my rowing bay is longer than most. The 6" oar towers that come with the NRS frames are worthless, I would suggest piecing together what you need or seeing if you can pay a bit to go to 8's maybe even 10's depending on your height and rowing position.

The rigs 4CRS has to rent are sweet, I've seen them on a trailer ready to roll, I never thought I'd get boat envy over a rental. They sell them cheap as a package at the end of the season too if you are patient.

Someone mentioned their bimini being too short, one of the guys on here drilled out the rivets to the lower supports and replaced them with 1/4" trailer pins letting them move the support up (closer to horizontal) making the whole thing taller, it looks like a good mod to help with head space.

When I looked at everything bags Ray at Tough River Stuff had the best setup, the material is doubled over so you get 2 layers of mesh over everything and the price cant be beat. I found myself wanting a fancier closing system and handholds for a passenger, now I own it I have no desire for either.

Also OP, while these are more than many other options they dont make your water taste like plastic and you wont have to replace them every few trips. I was originally appalled at the price for a smaller container but wont ever go another route.
https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Golden, Colorado
Yeah, it’s tough to beat the flexibility of nrs frames. I’ve run them for nearly 20 years now and it’s great to be able to adjust your frame to each trips gear, portability/packability and a variety of passenger trip specific needs. They aren’t super sexy to look at but they crush it, otherwise.

And I STRONGLY second the idea of piecing together your setup from their parts page vs. buying a generic Bighorn. Get your side rails cut to the exact length you need, properly sized/height oar mounts, add, subtract or get specific types of crossbars to your exact trip type needs, ect.

Anyway, good luck.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote