Tranferring raft warranties - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2010   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Tranferring raft warranties

I've seen alot of posts where people are selling used rafts and claim that there are "X" years left on the warranty. In my experience, warranties don't usually transfer from owner to owner, whether it is a raft, mtn bike, or any other toy. Do any raft manufacturers permit the tranfer of their warranties? I know that Vanguard does not.

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Aire, there are many examples of second owners getting work done under warranty.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #3

Cody, Wyoming
i asked this question on a used Jacks Plastic Culebra i bought, and Jack personally responded to my email with a resounding yes. the culebra was used commercially (as a demo boat) for the first year of its life, and Jack said he would honor the full 10 year warranty from the date of manufacture on the boat. that was a big reason i purchased it - covered to 2018!

i emailed the same question to the NRS customer service folks, and i don't recall them being quite as exuberant in their response. i did get the feeling that they would honor the 5 year warranty on otter rafts (which i own) if sold from private to private, but if the boat started its life in a commercial fleet they would only warranty it 3 years. it seemed like a little bit of "squeaky wheel" prodding would be necessary should an issue ever arise, but if there was a legit problem i got the feeling they would stand behind their rafts. i never had to put it to the test though and the 2005 otter i bought used is now out of warranty. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010   #4
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I have spoken with Aire a number of times to run serial #'s and find out about warranties on boats. They start their warranties from the purchase date rather than the manufacture date, and their warranties are 100% transferable no matter who is buying or selling the boat. In fact, they just look up your serial # on the computer and see whether you have warranty left or not, they could care less who you are and how/when/where you got the boat. But they do know who the original purchaser is and when it was purchased.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
I know Down River will let the warranty transfer, but they can also offer shorter warranties on boats sold to commercials. Another reason to stay away from used commercial boats.
woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #6
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I called down river a few weeks ago with a serial # to try and find out some info on a boat. The guy I talked to said that they didn't assign the #'s, the factory did that overseas, and he did not know of any rhyme or reason to how they assigned the #'s. So needless to say, he could give me no info on the boat. If that's the case how do they keep track of which boats are under warranty?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodboat75 View Post
I know Down River will let the warranty transfer, but they can also offer shorter warranties on boats sold to commercials. Another reason to stay away from used commercial boats.
On the other hand, commercial companies usually take a lot better care of their boats. I can't count the number of private boats that get used 1/10 the time of a commercial boat that have been damaged by leaving them fully inflated, stored outside in the off season ect.... Some companies flip their boats every year, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I'd rather have a boat that was used a great number of days by a professional than mistreated by someone who didn't know any better.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting