Trailers on the front range Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2019   #1

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Trailers on the front range Colorado

So there are lots of good threads about trailer builds, but are there really so few companies building raft trailers on the front range? Looking for a good trailer and doesn’t seem to be very many options, which blows my mind considering how many rafters are in this area. If your a small shop and making quality trailers, let me know, would love to support local small business.

Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I share your bewilderment. I've been through the process a few times and was frustrated as well and the only place that I really could find a consistent inventory in Denver was All American. I was happy with both of my purchases from them and they had in stock what I needed.

That being said that guy in Salida who runs Ark Welding has pretty good reviews and when I've spoken with him was very friendly and honest. You buy a utility trailer and he modifies it for raft use. I almost did that but I needed a trailer quick and I didn't have time to drive the 6 hours round trip to grab that one. Good luck.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019   #3

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Isn't jspoon14 here on the buzz starting a trailer build?
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019   #4

I talked to this guy last year and he seemed super knowledgeable https://www.thetrailerguyllc.com/blog/raft-trailers

If you search sporttrail here there are some threads that sound positive. I did not pull the trigger yet though so no direct experience.
kayakingkate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I believe my trailer was made by these guys in about 2012. https://www.thetrailerguyllc.com/blog/raft-trailers

It has a 12 ft x 7ft deck with roller and wench. There is a storage compartment underneath that is about 12 ft x 4 ft x 2 ft which is accessible by a tailgate door and another door front of the axle.

you can see the normal photo here: https://imgur.com/a/6XA2BdP

Sorry, my photo is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	33511  
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019   #6
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Go Here: http://www.hitchinposttrailers.com
Liquido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My first trailer was a sportrail that I bought from all american. Don't think they carry his trailers anymore. It was a good trailer, no complaints. Only thing I did in 5 years was change out the lights to LED's but I'm sure those are standard now. Maybe towed it 10k miles or so.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #8

Masonville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I have a All American raft trailer from Denver and it's worked out well. It has large storage under main deck which I love. The only thing I would change it it's rear rollers are high off the ground and the boat front hits the trailer when winching up to the rollers. Usually 1-2 guys need to lift up the boat front end while a third controls the winch. Hard with heavy fishing frame etc. Makes it impossible to load solo unless you add simple ramp up to roller system. I plan to weld on portable ramp just for this need. See photo of trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	33513  
DodgerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #9

Dodger, all you need to do is run a piece of webbing from each oarlock to a V under the nose and attach the winch there. That will pull your bow over the roller. My setup is the same. I think it was Dr. Andy here that was kind enough to post a youtube if you search "v strap raft trailer" or something over there.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #10

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a 7x12 slat top Galvanized trailer from this guy and have been happy. He is in Loveland.

https://www.thetrailerguyllc.com/
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote