Trailer Size - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2018   #1

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Trailer Size

I am switching to a flat bed trailer. What size would be best for a 16' raft. I don't want to go larger than 7 x14' but wondering if 12' will work ok. I searched the trailer threads but not much information on size. Those with direct experience would be helpful.

dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018   #2

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've got an Aire 156R (15'9") and it lives on a 12' trailer with no problems. Considering the overhanging ends are where the "kick" is for bow and stern, those sections wouldn't be resting on the trailer if it was longer anyway.
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
A 12’ will “Work” but 14’ is better and will allow you to stand on all 4 corners, if the deck is rectangular.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018   #4

NE, Oregon
I trailer an 18' on a 7'x12', usually as the bottom boat in a stack of 2 or 3, no problems. With a 15' boat all four corners are exposed.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Lots of people out ther will tell you they put put a 16’ boat on a 12 ft trailer and it works “fine”. Not many of those people have the option to put their boat on a 14’ and compare.

The coast difference is nominal. If you have the room why not go bigger? If you get a smaller trailer and end up trailering a bigger boat you won’t be happy! You never save money by buying something twice.

It a bit like asking someone with 14’ boat if it works. Yes it works, but they often don’t have a 16’ in the fleet to compare.

7x 14’ under a 16’ and 14’ on top.

https://www.facebook.com/Whitewater-...1382757268536/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #6

NE, Oregon
"Lots of people out ther will tell you they put put a 16’ boat on a 12 ft trailer and it works “fine”. "

I'm not sure what this means exactly. Either the boat rides "fine" or it doesn't, and you have to adjust the boat or tiedowns repeatedly. I don't see the middle ground. How it's tied down is usually the problem with a boat that wants to move around on a trailer and not the trailer itself.

The configuration I described above is no fuss and if that's just "fine," then that's fine by me.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #7

14 will tow better and easier to back.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
It depends...

I have a 16' utility trailer and my 15.5' raft only occupies 12' of the deck. The front under the kick often carries bikes or firewood, and I let the stern kick hang out the back.

If you have limited space to store a trailer or a smaller vehicle to tow it, I'd advocate the 12' trailer.

If you need to haul other things (mine carries vehicles, scrap metal, firewood, branches and yard waste, etc.) the larger is often more useful, but it does take up more space in my yard. It has two 3,500# axles and is a bit heavy overall for a car, so it really only gets towed by my 1/2T pickup.

I don't feel there's an issue either way for the trailer being appropriate size for rafts...it's the other factors that should sway your decision.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
A long trailer tongue is very important, easy to back compared to a short tongue and more stable to tow. Like so many before me said, the bigger you can afford/store, the better it will be as a boat trailer. I am assuming you will tow inflated and rigged. so a capacity of 2000#'s minimum would be best and high speed rated tires/wheels of course. I prefer aluminum trailers. Less maintenance and lighter towing.
Old 10-04-2018   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A long trailer tongue is very important, easy to back compared to a short tongue and more stable to tow. Like so many before me said, the bigger you can afford/store, the better it will be as a boat trailer. I am assuming you will tow inflated and rigged. so a capacity of 2000#'s minimum would be best and high speed rated tires/wheels of course. I prefer aluminum trailers. Less maintenance and lighter towing.
^^^

Wheel size is huge. 15" wheels are much better than 14", and 16" better than 15". A larger tire/wheel will make fewer revolutions per mile than smaller tires. Longer, cooler bearing life and longer tread life.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote