Trailer roller positioning - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2015   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Trailer roller positioning

Looking to add a roller to my flatbed tilt trailer. Presently planning to have a 2" roller that would sit just aft of rear of trailer and the top of roller about an Inch and a half higher than deck height. Looking through past threads I see variety of positions. some completely on top of the deck, some behind but flush with top of deck. Having it sit higher would seem to help keep the boat in contact with the roller longer. Having it aft of trailer deck may allow it to be Easier winching on. Any thoughts? Thanks!

efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015   #2

in the, land of milk and honey
Put it in the rear.
CeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
efis, my roller is just like you describe. Works great. I have to admit though, my first thought when reading the subject was CeeEee's response...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
efis,

I've got a heavy rig that runs with a drybox, cooler, and a bunch of crap I just always have on the boat - so I love my rollers, and also being able to back the trailer into the water to load it. My trailer has 3 rollers across the back mounted on/above the deck at the rear of the bed. I think having the roller behind the deck is unnecessary because if you're lifting the bow up to level with the deck, it's only an couple more inches to get it up on the rollers.

One thing I'd recommend against is having a long, single roller bar spanning the trailer width. I've seen & heard of these warping and becoming useless, likely when a boat was hauled sitting on the roller. There are also bearings or other moving parts prone to malfunction. An alternative I'd consider, if/when doing it again, would be to have a stout piece of pipe going across the back with a piece of PVC pipe sleeve over it that can spin freely. This way, if/when the bar gets warped, the PVC will still spin and roll the boat onto the trailer.

When pulling the boat onto the trailer, you'll want to keep the bottom of the boat up above the deck until the boat's almost in place. Remember the boat isn't perfectly rigid, especially if it's loaded, and will bow downward when you lift the bow to slide it into the river. Having the roller low to the deck, or the winch low will work against this and you'll be dragging the bottom of the boat across the deck.

Good luck with the right solution,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #5

nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1987
attached pic of one that has worked for many years..13 and going strong..6x12 tailer for a 156 aire and 14 cat

sits about 1" above deck plane..independent rubber rollers..the fabricators that do a lot of raft trailers will have the good choices...
reelrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #6

nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1987
trying to attach picture..oh well if it does not work..

anyway..bar at rear of the trailer..slide boats across deck..all you need

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_141215-1.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	10291
reelrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Thanks for the responses and pictures. Was planning to create roller like reel's but using black iron pipe like Andy's for the rod and several layers of pvc to gain clearance from the brackets. four brackets to create three sections of continuous roller. Will post when I get around to putting together. Thanks again!
efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
efis,

I've got a heavy rig that runs with a drybox, cooler, and a bunch of crap I just always have on the boat - so I love my rollers, and also being able to back the trailer into the water to load it. My trailer has 3 rollers across the back mounted on/above the deck at the rear of the bed. I think having the roller behind the deck is unnecessary because if you're lifting the bow up to level with the deck, it's only an couple more inches to get it up on the rollers.

One thing I'd recommend against is having a long, single roller bar spanning the trailer width. I've seen & heard of these warping and becoming useless, likely when a boat was hauled sitting on the roller. There are also bearings or other moving parts prone to malfunction. An alternative I'd consider, if/when doing it again, would be to have a stout piece of pipe going across the back with a piece of PVC pipe sleeve over it that can spin freely. This way, if/when the bar gets warped, the PVC will still spin and roll the boat onto the trailer.

When pulling the boat onto the trailer, you'll want to keep the bottom of the boat up above the deck until the boat's almost in place. Remember the boat isn't perfectly rigid, especially if it's loaded, and will bow downward when you lift the bow to slide it into the river. Having the roller low to the deck, or the winch low will work against this and you'll be dragging the bottom of the boat across the deck.

Good luck with the right solution,

-AH
Good afternoon Andy,

Do you have any pictures of how to do rollers the way you recommend in this article? I modified my flatbed with portable bunks, and now need to come up with a roller system. I also read that one poster said to use a square tube in the middle to prevent the round pyc outer tube from making as much contact. I do work at a steel company, so I can probably get something fabricated out of scrap material.

Thanks in advance for your time and response,

Steve
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #9

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Plumbing conduit with PVC rolls just fine- section the PVC into thirds

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #10

Oregon City, Oregon
Thanks, I appreciate it!