Trailer Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2017   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Trailer Questions

Hey Everyone,

I'm a few years in and buying my first raft and have some questions on trailers.

I'm thinking I can only get a flatbed aluminum trailer given towing capacity on my car and wondering what people's thoughts were on the following:

1. I'm getting a 14' raft. Is it worth getting a 14' trailer or will a 12' do?
2. Has anyone noticed issues with packing everything in the raft then loading it on the trailer or is it possible to cinch things down on the front of the flatbed (either under the rocker or push the boat back a bit)?
3. Where would you cinch the oars down...on the raft or on the trailer?

These may be stupid questions but just trying to get the right stuff.

Will take any and all advice.

R

russellmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #2

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
My 14' fits great on a 6' 12' flatbed deck over trailer. With the rocker of the boat the bow rests on the 8" front rail and the stern sits above the rollers I made.the floor sits directly and completely on the trailor.

As far as loading it, the boat gets heavy fast. I keep my cooler and the gear I will be putting in the stern in the bed of my truck. It just makes it easier for me and my wife to move around.

You're going to have to get creative and try to see what works. One other thing I would consider if you are worried about a steel trailer being to heavy for your tow vehicle you may want to look into a small trailer or roof rack and transport it deflated.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #3

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Regardless of what you end up with, you want more weight ahead of the wheels than behind to prevent sway. Keep that in mind as you picture the loaded rig

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #4

Central Point, Oregon
This is the exact reason our axles are placed 12" back of the deck center!!! Before I started building trailers, tongue weight was a constant battle. I was using a ghetto. 7x14 under a 16' boat and had to load the boat stern first and strap water jugs to to tongue to keep it from fish tailing. If you want a trailer that you will only buy once and is designed for hauling boats contact us today!!!

7x 12 in stock and ready to go home with you today!

I just uploaded and launch and recovery vid on our Facebook page today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Regardless of what you end up with, you want more weight ahead of the wheels than behind to prevent sway. Keep that in mind as you picture the loaded rig

Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's a pic of my 14 ft. raft on my 12 X 6.5 trailer. Not the best pic but you can get an idea. I transport my raft fully rigged & ready, from Salt Lake City to Idaho a lot. The picture is at Corn Creek put-in for a Main Salmon trip.

I'm a 5'5" female who loads my raft solo. My trip prep goes like this - I inflate the raft and slide it onto the trailer. Then I put the frame on and strap it down. Then I roll the trailer from my side yard into my garage. Next I load in my empty dry boxes, cooler, and put all my accessory stuff like my captains bags, gear net, etc. into place. I can adjust straps with the empty boxes & cooler to make sure everything is in the right position. Next I load the dry boxes & cooler. Then I load all my loose gear into the cargo area of the raft, which it on the front of the trailer. I strap my oars to the frame. Everything is strapped down securely, and I check straps & raft inflation at every gas/bathroom/food stop along the way. I've been doing it this way for years without incident.

There have been a couple trailer threads recently, so you can check those out to see what others do. My trailer started life as an ATV trailer. It has been modified to be a "flat bed" type raft trailer, as well as a cargo hauler with sides, and now a kayak/canoe trailer. I finally have some pictures that show the trailer with the sides on. I just added 2 pvc cross bars to the trailer to morph it into a kayak/canoe trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0340.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	17106   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1136.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	17114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1137.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	17122  
Old 04-15-2017   #6

Rock Springs, Wyoming
Trailer Questions

Definitely have the boat on the trailer before loading anything. I would keep your heavier items in the vehicle since I have seen heavy coolers bouncing in the raft cause problems. Strap your oars to the frame of the raft for transport, and always tie down the raft from frame to trailer rather than around tubesClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1492267597.813421.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	17130. This system has worked great for myself and I haul my boat everywhere inflated. It's been a lot of trial and error to get it right so I hope this helps.

WYO
GROH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I've begun strapping my oars in the oarlocks and the blades to a d-ring on my raft. Best way I've found to protect them from abrasion. Makes for a quicker launch as well.

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
I've begun strapping my oars in the oarlocks and the blades to a d-ring on my raft. Best way I've found to protect them from abrasion. Makes for a quicker launch as well.

That's the way my rafting buddy does his oars when he's just going from Pocatello to the Southfork Snake. Any longer trip than that, they get strapped to the frame.

I know a lot of people get nervous about transporting their rafts inflated & rigged because of the risks from road debris. So far (knock on wood) I've not had a problem. My trailer & raft draft very well behind my SUV. I have done SLC to Main Salmon trips both ways....rigged & ready, and deflated in cargo trailer mode. Rigged & ready has it's distinct advantages. We once did a trip from SLC to the Rogue with my friend's 16 foot raft rigged & ready on his larger flat bed trailer, with my rigged 14 foot cat strapped on top. We had no issues on that trip.
Old 04-16-2017   #9

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:

I do that a lot too. Top off and launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote