Trailer help - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Trailer help

Hey everyone!

I’m looking for some ideas to help me get on the river more often with my 9 year old. It’s just him and I and it’s hard to pull it off with our current setup.

I have a 14 foot Avon adventurer with frame and gear.

I have a 95 Bronco that could easily pull a trailer. So, I’m thinking I’m missing a cool trailer setup.

What suggestions do you have for me? What size? Where to buy one? Should I build one? Where to start?

Sorry to ask so much but I’m sorta clueless in these regards. I live in Fort Collins Colorado if that makes any differences for suggestions.

Thanks a ton!!
Greg

daddyandreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Check out Sportrailer they make super sweet 7x12 rigs for $2-3k and they have dealers in Loveland.
Jfizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
It is actually Sportrail, and Ill try to get a few photos of mine this weekend. I might be looking to sell it.
Jfizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
..is doing the damn thing

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ive been getting on the river waaayyyyyyyy more after picking up a RMR storm. Its just easier with a small boat.
ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyandreece View Post
Should I build one? Where to start?
If you have to ask...
...then maybe not?

It's not difficult to source axles and wiring parts from eTrailer.com. Can you weld reliably enough that your hitch won't break off and send your trailer through the windshield of a busload of nuns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
Ive been getting on the river waaayyyyyyyy more after picking up a RMR storm. Its just easier with a small boat.

Agree. We got a 13' boat when our kids were younger and it's much easier with a small family to run a small boat for day trips.

14' isn't bad, and a trailer also makes for easier and more frequent trip cycles.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
id start looking for an old boat trailer. If you keep your eyes open on CL you will find one for practically nothing. use its axle, lights, and most importantly VIN number (trust me its just easier in Colorado). build your trailer on top of it. I don't know how good of a fabricator you are but its not too hard. might include a roller for your self. I didn't put one on mine but it seem other people like them.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Do you have any trailers already? We built a bolt on deck for a three sled dirt bike trailer. It just takes 4 bolts and it goes from flat deck for the raft to dirtbike trailer. It’s not fancy - but it works.
kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Since you may want to trade in your 24-year old Bronco on something more fuel efficient one of these days, I suggest getting an aluminum trailer so you're not lugging around an extra 300-500 lbs of steel. I've done well for the past 16 years with a converted Sled Bed snowmobile trailer and had no trouble hauling a fully loaded raft and car full of people through the mountains, first with a 2.2L Subaru Legacy and then my 2.5L Outback.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
id start looking for an old boat trailer. If you keep your eyes open on CL you will find one for practically nothing. use its axle, lights, and most importantly VIN number (trust me its just easier in Colorado). build your trailer on top of it. I don't know how good of a fabricator you are but its not too hard. might include a roller for your self. I didn't put one on mine but it seem other people like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Since you may want to trade in your 24-year old Bronco on something more fuel efficient one of these days, I suggest getting an aluminum trailer so you're not lugging around an extra 300-500 lbs of steel. I've done well for the past 16 years with a converted Sled Bed snowmobile trailer and had no trouble hauling a fully loaded raft and car full of people through the mountains, first with a 2.2L Subaru Legacy and then my 2.5L Outback.
2 ways you can go with a trailer and both are valid:

If you go heavy steel, consider a lightweight car hauler trailer. You're not going to notice an extra 500# of steel if you're already at 1,500#. You can then haul other things (cars, firewood, landscape materials, help Aunt Betty move, etc). 2 axles is better redundancy.

Or like Andy H said, if you want to make a long trip, it's not worth driving the old gas guzzler that far...and nice to be able to tow it with your own car or a trip mate's car. In that case, lightweight snowmobile trailers are the cat's ass.

Boat trailers as NoCo suggested are also fairly minimalist, and you can keep the weight down enough on them with a lightweight deck that you can also tow them with a moderate sized car.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Ark Welding Salida, CO Talk to Will