Trailer brakes - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2015   #1

Skink, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Trailer brakes

Curious if anyone is getting their Sawtooth trailer equipped with trailer brakes?

Nugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Sawtooth trailer

No brakes but you may feel more comfortable with them. Loaded my set up is about 2000 pounds.

Make sure the hinges and stops on the clam shell top are installed correctly. Mine were not and will have to be redone (grind/cut them off and install new ones) this winter.

Pay for better tires or just change over to the best after you take possession. I had two flats on my first two trips.

Extend the winch tongue, even by a few inches, especially if you have a bigger boat. My knuckles bang the trailer when I am loading/unloading. My boat fits fine but just barely. I have a 12' trailer and a 15'6" boat which thankfully has a lot of rocker.

Despite these issues I like the trailer and am satisfied with the purchase. I expected to refine it to suit my needs.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't have a trailer from sawtooth welding. but I had to replace my axel last year, and opted for one with electric brake hubs. I don't see any reason why Randy wouldn't equip one of the trailers he builds for you with a set of braking hubs if you asked. I don't see a down side to it either, it's a pretty good sized trailer, and you can load it down pretty heavy. Any assistance in stopping would be welcomed for sure. Unless you're towing with a one ton truck with huge brakes on it anyways.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
One benefit of trailer brakes that benefits even large tow vehicles is that it can help keep the whole works in line during a panic stop situation or braking slippery or loose surfaces.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
You haven't lived till you hit a patch of black ice going down a hill and see your trailer passing you in the rear view mirror
Old 11-10-2015   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I service trailers as part of my duties at work. I wouldn't be against brakes on the trailer, but I would try not to dunk the axle if I did have brakes. I have seen electric trailer brakes and hydraulic trailer brakes on dedicated boat trailers. They have a short service life if they get wet regularly.
What you are towing with plays into this equation as well. If you are towing with something downsize (Tacoma, minivan, Ranger, Subaru, Jeep) the extra braking power might be welcome. Behind a fullsize, I don't think you are going to gain much with trailer brakes. If you are experiencing trailer sway and you have to use the trailer brakes to straighten out, the trailer is probably not loaded correctly, and you are using the brakes as a workaround to your tongue weight problem.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2015   #7

Winchester, Virginia
Has anyone installed brakes on an older trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
virglewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
For *most* trailers it is pretty simple. If your axle has a flange with bolt holes it is pretty easy to bolt a backing plate and drum on. The wiring is easy, a hot and ground to each backing plate. I recommend wiring a ground straight from the trailer plug ground to the brakes, don't terminate the brake ground to the trailer. Why? If you ever had wiring issue anywhere else on the trailer where a positive wire energized your trailer frame, it could potentially lock your brakes up, even with your foot off of the brakes. Sounds far fetched, but I've seen it happen.
Old 11-18-2015   #9
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by virglewest View Post
Has anyone installed brakes on an older trailer?

Just as Learch said.. or if you're in the position I was in last year, I needed a new axle because I hadn't taken care of my bearings. I just purchased a new axle with brakes already on it. (was only like a $30 difference from a standard 3000lb axle.) was a piece of cake to wire up.
Old 11-18-2015   #10

Winchester, Virginia
How much did you pay for your axle?

virglewest is offline   Reply With Quote