Torsion vs. Leaf trailer axle - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Torsion vs. Leaf trailer axle

Ok - let's get into it. What are folks preferences for axles - torsion or leaf and are there any preferences on mfg?

Single axle application.

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Timbren, axle-less suspension
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Timbren, axle-less suspension
Ok - I give. Those are pretty cool. Anyone have some run time on the Timbren's with a raft trailer over rough road?
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have them on a home built camping trailer that goes behind the land cruiser, mostly offroad, it's pretty schweet. Should be perfect on a boat trailer
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Torsional axles are the only way to go, make sure that they are of the Acculube or EZ lube type with a zerk that feeds grease to the inside bearing.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Dexter torsion for simplicity.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have used leaf springs on trailers 99% of the time. They have always work, to the point of getting us back home(warehouse, home, etc.). We have pull them over some really nasty dirt and heavily rutted roads, sometimes really over weight also. We have also broken a leaf spring along the way, but was always able to use bailing wire or duck tape, a couple 2x4's to the bottom of the frame to keep the axle from bottoming out, also had to drive alot slower, but always made it out for repairs. On the other hand a friend had a trailer with a torsion bar suspension that I have pull a couple of times, the trailer handled excellent on the roads at higher speeds, around corners, in the wind, etc. even on the back roads. Plus, I just felt like I had greater positive control with the torsion bar setup.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Fuck vertical scope

Craig'merica, !!!
Think the Timbren axle-less axles are over priced and dumb. The only use I could see them being useful for is a low rider drop deck trailer. As far as in an offroad trailer application its just bragging rights of who spent more on there "overlander" utility trailer. on an off road application you usually match trailer tire size to tow vehicle size, so what ever the tow rig clears the trailer will too.
EZ lube spindles and bearing buddies are a gimmick at best. By the time you force grease thru the bearing you've blown out your wheel seal and caused more damage. Use a good marine grease and actually pack your wheel bearings.
Dexter axles will build to spec. If you can afford it I'd go torsion but there thousands of boat trailers that have gone millions of miles with old school leaf springs.
The biggest thing to consider in my opinion isn't torsion or leaf but axle size.
A 5k axle has substantially bigger bearings then a 3k. It also gives you a larger choose of tire size. You might never need to carry 5k but I'd rather have a trailer grossly under loaded then a trailer that is pushing its max capacity.
Why ez lube hubs are a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020200.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	42085  
hooligan shmulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've never seen this happen before, and I've built and sold over 400 trailers. Looks like the wheel seals were either improper or worn and needing replacement. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the brake shoe is worn quite a bit... As well, the seal and bearing are on the axle, were it installed correctly the seal and inner bearing SHOULD come off with the hub, and need to be pried out of the hub...

Once you initially fill the hub cavity with grease, it shouldn't take more than a couple pumps a year with a grease gun to maintain the bearing lubrication, there's significantly more grease in there than a couple pumps.

As it's cheap and simple to do, I disassemble mine every couple years and replace the seals and bearings just as a precaution, I got stranded once in Boise ID with a failed bearing that was only a year old, trashed the spindle and had to sit and wait for another, paid thru the nose for it. A set of bearings and seals runs about 40 bucks here in CO. Cheap insurance.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Seals cost more than the bearings!

I pulled an $11 seal to get the part number off of the $7 bearing. haha.

and remember to write down your part numbers. Put them on a slip of paper in your breakaway battery box or a sharpie paint pen inside the fender. My dad always wrote them inside the tack door in the horse trailer. haha
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote