To Floor or not to Floor? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
To Floor or not to Floor?

With all the great thoughts on oars, what are the pros and cons of putting a rigid floor under the frame on a self bailer?
Thinking 3/4 plywood with marine grade paint, please share your experiences and thoughts
Happy Tuesday,
Jon

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Floor wood or alum is the way to go for multi day gear hauling trips

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I assume you are just saying in the captains well and not the length of the floor.

Pros. Great place to smash cans. Sturdy place to stand. Good place to set things that you may not want to blow away and you may not want to get wet temporarily in flatwater or in camp. Keeps boat safe from sharp things that get dropped in the captains well. You don't lose things when you drop them, assuming the floor is fairly tight to the sides and has a box/cooer in front of and behind the floor. Good place to strap captains boxes. Dry feet, mostly.

Cons. If inflatable floor is caught between a rock and a hard place it loses every time. If something does get under it, it is a real bitch to get back. Things trapped under it will likely damage the floor. Extra rigging. Extra weight.

You can can partially alleviate the rock and a hard place issue with a suspended floor that can move up and down with the floor but you do lose a little stability and I have still seen a blowout with a suspended floor.

I run a rigid captains floor if I am in water where I think wrapping is very unlikely. I dont run one in water that is skinny or where getting stuck is potentially mandatory such as low water middlefork or selway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I like floors in cats but in my rafts i prefer to hang gear from the frame. In my raft My only foors are at each end for fishing platforms.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #5

I don't like a floor because I think it makes it more akward to push while standing up. The geometry is better on boats with 22+ inch tubes to stand so it may not
Make much of a difference on smaller boats. IMHO.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've run a full length sheet of 1/2" plywood as a floor in my 14' nrs for a long time, I love it. It hangs from my frame and supports my cooler. dry box, and 6 rockets. It can't really move up because of the straps over cooler and dry box.
Makes everything very solid, awesome to stand on, I left about 1/2" to each side of floor so my boat can still bale at normal speed. I also run full length side boards on my frame, very nice having all the flat surfaces.

Zack did a very good job with pro's and con's, I love my floor and run it everywhere, but it does add weight, and in the advent of a bad rap or other misadventure, I could have major boat fuckage. Have a floor for my little cat also.
Old 01-20-2016   #7

Tabernash, Colorado
My floor is finished with spar varnish, nice look, but high maintenance, paint may be less up keep, read bout someone else using stain with good result( previous mtn. buzz thread on topic)
Old 01-20-2016   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
I run my floor under my frame, not under drop bag. 3/4 ply painted with " deck over"seems to be holding up well. I do have old school wood frame.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #9
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
great thread jon!!

i'm hoping to pull the trigger on a new boat this spring, and i've been going back and forth on this very question for a while now. good timing!!

so with no full length floor, are most of you guys just hanging a section of wood/aluminum in your captains bay to mount captains boxes to?? how are you keeping a smaller section of floor in place in a flip/wrap??

I've really liked the couple of setups i've rowed that have full length wood floors. but it certainly does make you think what'd happen during a really hard wrap...

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
Splintered plywood and perforated floor/ tubes?