To cover or not to cover - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
To cover or not to cover

Hi All
Im planning a long awaited trip down the Deschutes in July and wondering what would be the best way to transport it all the way to Oregon from CO. We do this trip every year but Ive never brought my boat. Its on a trailer and we trailer it all over CO and to Moab with all gear suspended, but Im looking for your best practices. Cover? No cover?
Thanks!

HeartDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If I was driving that far I would deflate, roll it up, and fit it, and everything else, into the car with the frame and oars on the roof rack. It's safer and you get better gas mileage. If you're taking more boats I would still deflate and haul everything on the trailer. A tarp would be nice at that point.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tarps get shredded by the wind at 70 mph and will quickly be part of the roadside trash. I keep my boat rigged and on the trailer and accept that I'll get crappy mileage when I haul it. But it's a lot easier than derigging and putting it into the car (if there were even room for drybox, cooler, gear that lives on the boat, etc.). Plus I toss lots of gear in the boat when traveling.

The last time I rolled my boat was when PRO took it down to Lee's and brought it back up from Diamond. Then I inflated it, rigged and headed home.

That was waaay too long ago...

YMMV,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018   #4

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
I have done it down there fully rigged and inflated in the heat of summer, I just bleed off a little when it's smoking hot. When you come down Deadman Pass I think it is, you loose elevation real quick and air, so depending on how your strapped down it'll be limp, so you'll have to pump back up in Pendleton. I assume your going down through Ontario and turning off at The Dalles or Bigs to Maupin. Theres a 17,000 ac. forest fire near Maupin now named Boxcar Fire after the rapid.
wildfireone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #5

Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys and wild fire you are right it is Deadmans or by some Meacham Pass. We go all the way to town first to say hi to Mom in Canby pick up my brother and then head over a few days later. We used to go up Boxcar in jetsleds and finish with rootbeer floats at the Oasis with a burlap sack full of steelhead. Thanks for the reminder! The plan is to do the lower for a few days with all the kids and im letting the brother figure it out. Too bad about that fire, Ill look it up. Go Beavers!
HeartDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #6

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
By the way if you use the blue NRS straps make sure they are all tucked around tight because they flap against the boat when towing and leave marks, which come off with the boat cleaner, but it’s better to tie em up before.

Here’s the Fire info:

At least three new wildfires grew quickly Thursday in Northern Oregon after hundreds of lightning strikes pounded the area Wednesday. The largest blaze is the Boxcar Fire just south of Maupin which is burning on both sides of Highway 197. Officials estimate Friday morning that it has burned 7,000 acres, but satellite imagery from 3:06 a.m. PDT on Friday, indicates, very, very unofficially, it has exceeded that by several thousand acres. A Type 2 Incident Management Team has been ordered.
wildfireone is offline   Reply With Quote