Tips to not getting separated from your raft/cataraft? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 04-27-2015   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Tips to not getting separated from your raft/cataraft?

I'm just curious if there is anything you can do that makes a difference (other than a seatbelt which is kinda dangerous for obvious reasons) to reduce the likelihood of you getting g separated from your raft of cataraft in the event of a flip? From frame design to longer tag lines to ? Any practices?

SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyFitter View Post
I'm just curious if there is anything you can do that makes a difference (other than a seatbelt which is kinda dangerous for obvious reasons) to reduce the likelihood of you getting g separated from your raft of cataraft in the event of a flip? From frame design to longer tag lines to ? Any practices?
Pin n clips. Grab frame.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I was an inflatable kayaker for years and years. It was a process learning to hold on to my paddle and my boat. I didn't always do it right. Sometimes I'd self rescue so fast others in my group wouldn't even see my mistake. I flipped my raft a couple months ago in some bigger water, all 5 of us hung on to the raft. Some were rookies, some were swim hardened basterds like me.
Treat ropes and straps with care. The can kill us as easily as help us in rescue situations. You don't need to hang anything off your boat, just practice flipping it both directions, and getting on it when it has been flipped either way. Most people struggle with re-entering big tube boats like cats and rafts. I'm a tall fat guy in good shape relative to being a fat guy, and I can just barely get into a 14' raft without any help from a ladder or frame to grab. It can be difficult to get on an upside down raft as well. It is a drill my club practices at our river safety training class every year.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015   #4

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I've seen one of my older buddies use a fairly long strap to hang off of the back of his raft/ducky. It floats essentially. Can't swim or self rescue as quickly these days, but I've seen him flip in his duck and the boat not get away from him. You may be able to try that on your cataraft.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #5

Meridian, Idaho
Pack extra beer and beef jerky to chum the kayakers. Let them in your boat when they are learning and swim. Down the road they might return the favor. They really arent that bad for the most part and can really save your ass It really is true that they will drink your beer and hit on your girl though.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by amv48 View Post
I've seen one of my older buddies use a fairly long strap to hang off of the back of his raft/ducky. It floats essentially. Can't swim or self rescue as quickly these days, but I've seen him flip in his duck and the boat not get away from him. You may be able to try that on your cataraft.
Not a fan of this concept. Entrapment, tangling in a paddle while under way etc.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #7

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Way I see it, flipping is part of the sport.

If you're upping your game and progressing, then you'll likely be chasing bigger, tougher whitewater. It is then that you need to accept the consequences and definitions of the classification system. Flipping will happen, and a lot of time it fucking sucks! Sometimes, you lose the boat, and in my opinion, that's like the ultimate guide fail - but it does happen. Swimming a Class 4 or 5 rapid can be so turbulent that it's no surprise that paddlers can get separated from their craft, and there becomes a point sometimes where all that ends up mattering is getting out of the river. Forget the gear. That can be recovered later.

So to answer your question, I'd say the answer to your question is to swim. Usually this means swimming back to the very boat you fell out of. Perimeter lines can be helpful and pretty safe when utilized correctly, and it does take practice and for some a specific technique to get back into the boat. If you're unsure how the flip/reflip routine is going to go down, practice the entire process in a pool/lake, or even better, in a safe and deep portion of river with moving current. Forget tools and tricks beyond this, flipping happens and it is necessary to be prepared to properly deal with the situation.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Not a fan of this concept. Entrapment, tangling in a paddle while under way etc.
Tag lines are frequently used.

see:
how long for bow/stern cat taglines

Cataraft Boat retrevial

I personally use a 6ft on the back and a 4ft on the front when running class IV (up) paddle boat. I use polypro loop staps (webbing sewn with a loop on one end, no buckle) and attach to front and back d rings. I have never had a problem with them as they are short enough not to cause an attachment hazard. They are great to hold onto when a boat is in an eddy and I have used them to retireve the boat going down river. I don't use any on the sides.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #9

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Tag lines are frequently used.

see:
how long for bow/stern cat taglines

Cataraft Boat retrevial

I personally use a 6ft on the back and a 4ft on the front when running class IV (up) paddle boat. I use polypro loop staps (webbing sewn with a loop on one end, no buckle) and attach to front and back d rings. I have never had a problem with them as they are short enough not to cause an attachment hazard. They are great to hold onto when a boat is in an eddy and I have used them to retireve the boat going down river. I don't use any on the sides.
I understand. The post I was responding too referred to a "fairly long line". And I still think loose lines are a potential hazard. I get their value, especially as short as you are using, but... Would also add, especially in this context, everyone on the trip should have a knife on their vest.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Side rails for seat.

Aside from good toe-bars, another frame modification that can keep you in your seat rather than dump-trucked out the side is to add small "3/4" EMT conduit bends that rise about three inches above the seat on either side. These side rails can be welded or made with 1/2 pipe sleeves and clamped on with hose-clamps. They also work great to hold the oars or even as "Oh Sh" handles. Pictured is a 10" Jacks Baby-cat with home-built frame, awesome play boat! Also, plant your oars and hang on tight to stay in the seat longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0895.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	9774
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft