Tips on Setting up an Everything Bag - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2015   #1
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tips on Setting up an Everything Bag

Just got an Everything Bag from Tough River Stuff. I played with it today in the stern of my 16 foot boat. It doesn't come with any directions and there is no video on Youtube so Thanks in advance for any tips.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have had two of Ray's everything bags. One on a Aire Leopard other on a Aire 143.

My experience was no directions as every boat has a different setup on dee rings. I just did the best I could to rig Ray's straps to the dee rings. I wanted to fit a plywood bottom with rounded edges to the inside bottom of the everything bag but never got it done. I also thought about glueing on some extra dee rings as needed but never did.

Bottom line, Just rig the straps up what ever works. One thing for sure, on the river, I just put stuff in the bag, stood on the seat and pulled the hoopie strap tight and ready to go. A great bag!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015   #3
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
The floor idea sounds interesting. I used a DRE floor before the Everything bag and I already have the extra D rings. BTW I have a Vanguard and Vanguards have smaller tubes so they are not as deep as a Highside or and Avon.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015   #4

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Put shit in it and go down the river?

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015   #5

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
ethafoam bottom?

I have the barney bag with the self drain hole on the bottom, cube bag that fits in my cataraft. I pack my camp chairs, drybags with tent, pillows, then row of cots, then a row of drybags, on top of that I usually put the propane camp shower and propane tanks. very top is the last stuff loaded usually stuff the wife wants access to .... very top I put all the collapsible buckets.

these garage sale bags are very handy ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #6

U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
My everything bag is from stiches-n-stuff. If running in the stern: It has 3 or 4 cam straps attached that I run to the back cross bar of the frame. I run 3 cam straps from the 3 D-rings on the back of the bag to the 4 D-rings on the back of my boat.
I used PVC board for my floor (1/4 inch I think). easy to cut and never needs maintenance like plywood. PVC is not rigid and it doesn't a lot of weight by itself (just like foam). However the nylon webbing running across the bottom of the bag cradles the board and is what provides the support. good luck...
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have the same bag from Ray at TRS. There's a shape to it, with the pointed end toward the stern. Sounds stupid now but when I was first playing with it, it wasn't immediately apparent to me. I added an extra large D-ring patch to each side of my Hyside 16, at the same height as the one in the stern D ring and the frame - about halfway b/w stern and rear frame attachments, using the bag inside the boat as a template. Three of the straps on the flat side go across the rear frame rail behind your seat. Obviously, the center rear one goes to the rear, and the others go to your best choice on the side, the reason I added the D rings. I did not use, nor did I want a floor. I just put stuff into the bag directly on the floor of raft. I pulled the attachment straps as tight as possible which does somewhat suspend the floor, but not much once loaded. Ray does it the same way and recommended that way. I made sure to put on the bottom a layer of soft stuff, such as gear bags, but that's pretty much what the whole rear compartment was used for. The top cinches down with an internal strap, which IMO would not keep stuff inside in case of a flip, so I always criss-crossed two straps over the top to the frame and D rings. Works great, and very fast to load and unload.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
First of all you want to ignore the d-rings on the bottom, (unless you are suspending a smaller bag in a bigger boat.) And yeah, shape to your boat with the 3 straps on the flat side attaching to your frame. The other three will attach to your bow & side quadrants, you may need to add d-rings to the appropriate spots depending on where your current d-rings are located. Your everything bag should have come with two additional loop straps to criscross and cinch the top down with. Feel free to call the shop and Ray will happily talk you through any questions you might have. 719-539-5444
Old 02-17-2015   #9
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Thanks for your reply. I'll be in touch. David

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRiverStuff View Post
First of all you want to ignore the d-rings on the bottom, (unless you are suspending a smaller bag in a bigger boat.) And yeah, shape to your boat with the 3 straps on the flat side attaching to your frame. The other three will attach to your bow & side quadrants, you may need to add d-rings to the appropriate spots depending on where your current d-rings are located. Your everything bag should have come with two additional loop straps to criscross and cinch the top down with. Feel free to call the shop and Ray will happily talk you through any questions you might have. 719-539-5444
Old 02-25-2015   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Great Bags

Great bag... had one for my 15' Avon... I was always sitting in my boat with my coffee while everyone else was strapping stuff in...may not have had in just right, but worked real well anyway!
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag