Tips on older raft oar handle replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2017   #1

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Tips on older raft oar handle replacement

Hey all,

I have some old oars from the 80's, and the plastic handles have cracked and fallen off. Hopefully the pic uploads, but in a nutshell I've got a funky setup I haven't seen before and I'm not sure if I should just put it in a vice and starting hauling on it or if theres a trick I should know about.

The base of the handle is made out of plastic and is inserted into the oar, and the handle itself had an aluminum "core" that the handle base was formed around. I think I can take this to a machine shop and have them drill it out, but I would like to be able to do it myself if possible.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860[1].jpg
Views:	93
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	14722  

BigFoot_Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Wrap the core in athletic tape and call it a day.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #3

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
I may be a bit confused by the pic. Is that an aluminum dowell that the handle was attached to? So you need the very end of the handle that would fit over that?

If that is the case you could get sculling handles. They might need to be modified depending on inside diameter. Sawyer makes handles as well but I don't think they would fit. Check out Croker oars or concept2. You might be able to find a cheap piece of hardwood dowell that is large enough diameter to drill to fit over the aluminum part. Then shape the outside by sanding.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Remove the plug add Sawyer Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot_Ginger View Post
Hey all,

I have some old oars from the 80's, and the plastic handles have cracked and fallen off. Hopefully the pic uploads, but in a nutshell I've got a funky setup I haven't seen before and I'm not sure if I should just put it in a vice and starting hauling on it or if theres a trick I should know about.

The base of the handle is made out of plastic and is inserted into the oar, and the handle itself had an aluminum "core" that the handle base was formed around. I think I can take this to a machine shop and have them drill it out, but I would like to be able to do it myself if possible.

Thoughts?
Sawyer has nice padded wood handles for 20 bucks or so. Remove the plug and epoxy them in.
Old 03-02-2017   #5

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Got it "handled"

So it turns out that after cutting off the aluminum and drilling out as much plastic that I could, I was able to seat the new handle over the old one and tap the new one down, displacing the old one lower into the shaft and sha-BAM! Problem solved. Room-mate even commented "well, now its even a little bit counter balanced".

Name:	IMG_2864-3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	14858

Name:	IMG_2865-3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	14866

Name:	IMG_2866[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	14850
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2864.jpg (885.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2865.jpg (974.8 KB, 39 views)
BigFoot_Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote