Three seat frame on mini max? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2018   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Three seat frame on mini max?

Can a mini max frame with anchor system be built to include a spot for a third in the back? Haven't seen it done, but also haven't seen a boat in person to see if it's even feasible. I know it'll be cramped, but could work out well for day trips with a couple buds who are dialed in and don't bring any superfluous gear.

fishingraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingraft View Post
Can a mini max frame with anchor system be built to include a spot for a third in the back? Haven't seen it done, but also haven't seen a boat in person to see if it's even feasible. I know it'll be cramped, but could work out well for day trips with a couple buds who are dialed in and don't bring any superfluous gear.
You can probably stuff three oversize guys in there but I think you're gonna drag your ass on that boat down the river. Boat for fishing you might look at RMR or Nrs for a drop stitch floor.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018   #4

Yup that is what exactly came to mind!
Old 09-09-2018   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Stop into DRE. We have a RMR Storm (pretty much the same dimensions as the mini-max) on display with a fishing frame and anchor system. A third person really isn't feasible. We do have 2 Mini-Max's in stock that are 15% off.
Down River Equipment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
As someone who has a mini max there is a 0% chance of that working. There is no room and the boat might draw 17” of water. If you want something small maybe look at the newer hyside max 12. I haven’t been in one of those but you might be able to do 3 people in that and still have the nimbleness of the mini max. If I could do it all over again I’d have 2 rafts, a mini max and a 14’ boat. Ymmv
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
As someone who has a mini max there is a 0% chance of that working. There is no room and the boat might draw 17” of water. If you want something small maybe look at the newer hyside max 12. I haven’t been in one of those but you might be able to do 3 people in that and still have the nimbleness of the mini max. If I could do it all over again I’d have 2 rafts, a mini max and a 14’ boat. Ymmv
I actually own a Max 12.0 and I think it would accommodate that situation pretty well. It is still a very nimble boat and would only draw 6-8" or so I think. I have had mine fully loaded with gear/cooler and 2 ppl. and it does great.
Old 09-10-2018   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Thanks all. 80% of my raft fishing is done with two people, that's why I wanted this little guy. I sold my 13' NRS last fall, as it was overkill for 2 people and it was a pain to store and rig.

Any recommendations on RMR Storm vs Hyside Minimax for this purpose? 80% float fishing, 15% Clear Creek and Ark paddling, 5% easy paddling with my neighbor's kids. I don't want to trailer it, so I'd like to be able to store the boat and frame on my roof basket if possible (Sub Forester). I don't know if the Hyside is worth the extra $$ to me.
Old 09-10-2018   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Paddle rafting in the Mini-Max is perfect with 3 people and with no extra weight. I've done plenty of R2 and R3 in mine. I would say about 500 lbs is when you really start to notice. I don't know what the frame/fishing gear weighs.

Hyside's website says 5 person max, which I think is a little misleading. I would say 4 adults absolute max with no additional gear. With 5 you just feel like you're sinking. But with 2 or 3 on Clear Creek/Ark is the most fun!

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, just trying to give my perspective.
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Nico View Post
Paddle rafting in the Mini-Max is perfect with 3 people and with no extra weight. I've done plenty of R2 and R3 in mine. I would say about 500 lbs is when you really start to notice. I don't know what the frame/fishing gear weighs.

Hyside's website says 5 person max, which I think is a little misleading. I would say 4 adults absolute max with no additional gear. With 5 you just feel like you're sinking. But with 2 or 3 on Clear Creek/Ark is the most fun!

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, just trying to give my perspective.
I appreciate your perspective, thanks! I actually rented a MiniMax this past spring from CKS in Byoooona Vista. Did the numbers a couple days in a row with four people. It was a blast and felt nimble enough. A lot more nimble than my old NRS Outlaw 13'er. I think we could've squeezed a fifth in there and been OK...then again, maybe no. All that said, it's rare that I can wrangle more than 1-2 people to go rafting, so I like the ability to R2 or R3 the thing, which is why I'm leaning towards a small boat (plus the reasons I mentioned re: fishing).