Three bay frame too large for my 14ST - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-02-2017   #1

Ballground, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1993
Three bay frame too large for my 14ST

With each of my rigging arrangements that includes a dry box, rowing seat and Prospector cooler my oar position is always a good 8"-10" back of center. I am 5' 7" and the only thing I can think is to move my row seat much further forward and it seems that would have all the weight in the front of the raft. I am beginning to think a two bay would be a better for this boat. Thoughts ?
By the way this is my first post and started rafting a couple years ago after 25 years of kayaking. Been fortunate so far and had a couple trips on the Rogue this year and many trips on local rivers up hear at Hood River Oregon.

JMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017   #2

Ballground, Georgia
Sorry about the incorrect description. I am having issues with the 4 bay frame on my 14/st and think I should go to a three bay. Hope this clarifies
Old 09-02-2017   #3

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You should not have any problems with your oar centerline being a little back on your raft. just make it comfortable for you ,and your passengers ; and keep the weight balanced.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017   #4

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
You should not have any problems with your oar centerline being a little back on your raft. just make it comfortable for you ,and your passengers ; and keep the weight balanced.
I agree, I run a 78" 4 bay frame on my 14 footer. Bay 1 wife's seat and a drop bag underneath, bay 2 large cooler, bay 3 a couple ammo boxes and my feet, and bay 4 is my seat with a drop bag underneath. My oar tower end up 8 to 10 inches rear of center with no problems.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I also don't mind running my oars up to about 12" aft of center. Forward of center starts to feel weird to me at about 6".

Would it be possible for you to reconfigure the frame so that the 4th bay is behind you, instead of in front of you? i.e.- sit on the drybox instead of the cooler, or whatever the situation for you is?
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #6

Ballground, Georgia
Thanks for the confirmation of my oar position. Haven't had any issues as it sits slightly behind center and so for our weekend trips like the Rogue I keep the. Dry box and wife up front with a cooler behind followed with leg space and other stuff and I sit on a rowing seat with a drop bag. For longer trips I may think about removing the rowing seat and drop bag and adding another dry box to row from.
Thanks again.