Thoughts on tributary 16 vs 14 for new rafter - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Thoughts on tributary 16 vs 14 for new rafter

Buying first raft and plan on it being a support raft for 3-8 people for mainly 3-4 day trips with some week long trips. Would people recommend 16 over 14. Also what are thoughts on mounted seat or sit on dry box for rowing

Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
I think there are very few rivers you can get down in a 14, that you can't get down in a 16'.
If a river is that tight, you gotta go down to a 12'.
Can haul a lot more gear in a 16, and they'll handle bigger water.

Ben
BenSlaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
If its a support raft for up to 8 people i would go 16'. Its only 4" wider than the 14' and hauls a lot more gear. This would be especially true if your friends drink a lot of beer. The 16' trib is not as wide as a lot of 16' boats out there. I think it can take a 90" long frame where the specs on the 14' only show a 68" long frame, which is short for a 14' boat.. i know people do put a bit longer frames on them but that is what is recommended. I row a 156R which demension wise is basicly the 16'4" trib shortened to 15'9" and would not want to try and support 8 in anything shorter.. my friends drink a lot of beer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

salmon, Idaho
I will correct myself here as a quick look shows most company's make a 16' raft in two widths. Around 7'2 which is what the trib 16 is and a wider boat around 7'8". The other quality budget boat would be the rmr 16 which is 7'8 and i would think would feel quite a Bit bigger.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
love my trib 16hd, you will be happy with the extra room. i have a good friend that has a 14hd and it gets real tight with just him, his daughter, and his lady on overnights...ive slept 3 people on my 16 in the grand... i row from a canyon prospector with a wet dreams cooler pad... if i was doing any type of support trips i would definitely take the 16hd...

as for RMR over tributary, i dont personally think they are even in the same ball park on durability once the pvc starts going on the rmr it wont hold air, whereas with the tributary the boat could literally disintegrate around the bladders and it would still hold air... i have abused my tributary and ive never had a problem with it losing air, i would say it is even more durable than my DIB
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
You might also consider a diminishing tube boat. I used to run a 16'8" Incept and eventually went to a 15' Maravia Zephyr. The Zephyr is only 4" narrower and 6" shorter on the inside than the Incept. It's not exact, but I think of it as a 15' on the outside and a 16' on the inside.

Lots of people like seats but I row from a drybox. My wife and I are a foot different in height so a fixed seat would mean that neither of us were comfortable.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

salmon, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpowell View Post
love my trib 16hd, you will be happy with the extra room. i have a good friend that has a 14hd and it gets real tight with just him, his daughter, and his lady on overnights...ive slept 3 people on my 16 in the grand... i row from a canyon prospector with a wet dreams cooler pad... if i was doing any type of support trips i would definitely take the 16hd...

as for RMR over tributary, i dont personally think they are even in the same ball park on durability once the pvc starts going on the rmr it wont hold air, whereas with the tributary the boat could literally disintegrate around the bladders and it would still hold air... i have abused my tributary and ive never had a problem with it losing air, i would say it is even more durable than my DIB
Hey azpowell I think I met you at the put in for the salt this spring. a march 18th launch. we talked for a while, you had your 16' trib and your boy. I was in the new orange 156R.

Just for clarity I was not recommending the 16' RMR just using it for an example of how much bigger of a 16' boat it was.. It is tough to beat the aire bladder system for longevity.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Hey azpowell I think I met you at the put in for the salt this spring. a march 18th launch. we talked for a while, you had your 16' trib and your boy. I was in the new orange 156R.

Just for clarity I was not recommending the 16' RMR just using it for an example of how much bigger of a 16' boat it was.. It is tough to beat the aire bladder system for longevity.
it was a glorious trip!!!! the little dude had a rocking good time! managed to make it out without too many shenanigans! see you there next year?
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote