Thoughts on RMR Storm 10.5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Norristown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 3
Hey I found a good deal on a rocky mountain rafts storm 10.5. If anyone has used one could you give me some feedback on how it performs? Any major issues? Thoughts on r6ing in one occasionally? The one I'm looking at is in brand new shape for 1000$.

Thanks for any help!

Heidler16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
R-6 will have your feet in water unless its a bunch of kids. Other than that its a fun little boat.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Great price, fun boat. I’ve got a minimax—very similar boat. R2 is funnest, 3 is fun, four gets logy. Occasionally run it frame and oars.
funrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have one and love it.. It has been a gear boat for a south fork owyhee. I have loaded it down for 7 days on the middle fork at low water and it was still a jet fighter compared to everyone else.

as an oar rig with one person rowing and one passenger up front it is a blast. It makes stretches of river that where not that much fun and makes them a blast.

took it down hells canyon at around 24,000 and it was about as much fun as i could stand.

I would never R6 it. Maybe R4 with smaller people but R2, R3 seems ideal.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Awesome boat, I have one in my garage right now, as well as a minimax, basically the same dimensions.

Things I like about the storm:
- Feels more robust than my minimax (The tubes are bigger, they don't diminish at all like the Minimax, and the PVC just feels thick compared to the minimax)
- Lots of D-rings all 2" (Minimax only has 4 on the outside and they are all 1'')
- Gets more firm than the Minimax
- Price on them is awesome

Things I don't like (or things I like about the Minimax better)
- I trust hyside more than RMR, but that's just a personal thinig. I actually sold my 14' hyside for a 16' RMR this year, so I am coming around, and I think there is real value in the RMR lineup, especially as a recreational boater. Using it 20-30 days a year it's still going to last a very long time
- Doesn't roll as well as the minimax (not an issue if you don't need to roll it)
- It's heavy, feels twice as heavy as my minimax

I'd personally say if you are not planning on hiking it into the Black Canyon go RMR over the minimax, save the money and invest in a frame and oars and use it a ton. That being said I am not selling my Minimax to get an RMR, but if I had to start from scratch 1K for a storm is a great deal.

Also, you will not get 6 people in there. 4 is pushing it. More fun with 2-3. Technically you could squeeze 6 in but it will be tippy. Go up to 12 or 13' if you expect to have 6 paddlers but still want something small for when it's just two of you.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Norristown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 3
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm gonna get it and it comes with 6 paddles. I was hoping for more positives about r6ing in it but I'm still going to attempt it anyway and see how it goes. Thanks!
Heidler16 is offline   Reply With Quote