Thoights on my trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2016   #1

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Thoights on my trailer?

Most winter mods complete. The tops of the rollers at 3/4" above the tops of the carpeted planks.

Not pictured is a 12' long roller ramp, 24" wide, that attaches underneath the back roller. Also not pictured is the boat winch, which sits on the trailer tongue, 3' above the top of the rollers/planks.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1460722020.790029.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	11327

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My only concern would be rubbing on the metal piece you have running down each side. If your boat's wide enough to touch that, I'd keep an eye on the bottom of your boat. Otherwise, I give it a thumbs up!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2016   #3

Monte Vista, Colorado
I run an RMR storm, so there is close to a foot of clearance on each side of the raft before it would hit those metal rails on the side. Also, all of the metal was ground so there are zero sharp edges. Every metal edge is rolled, so it isn't sharp, at all.

Thanks for your compliments though! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
My only concern would be rubbing on the metal piece you have running down each side. If your boat's wide enough to touch that, I'd keep an eye on the bottom of your boat. Otherwise, I give it a thumbs up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:

That was my thought too. My trailer has a similar angle iron along the edges and I rounded the end, just like yours, except mine went to the end of the trailer. Before I put a roller across the back, I had an ambitious crew give it everything they had to drag my cat onto the trailer. The rounded edge cut like a knife and I ended up with a slice a foot long. I then put the roller across the back and it no longer can drag over the corner. I have never had a problem with the metal edge down the length of the trailer, just the rounded end. If you are winching it, slowly, you may never have a problem.

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #5

Monte Vista, Colorado
Thanks! I really appreciate the beta!

I am definitely going to take it slow on the first loading/unloading. I will try to post up pictures of the ramp this PM as well, provided the weather doesn't turn "beautiful" too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That was my thought too. My trailer has a similar angle iron along the edges and I rounded the end, just like yours, except mine went to the end of the trailer. Before I put a roller across the back, I had an ambitious crew give it everything they had to drag my cat onto the trailer. The rounded edge cut like a knife and I ended up with a slice a foot long. I then put the roller across the back and it no longer can drag over the corner. I have never had a problem with the metal edge down the length of the trailer, just the rounded end. If you are winching it, slowly, you may never have a problem.

Old 04-15-2016   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Oh, I see you replied about the rolled metal edge while my shitty Internet was spinning. Looks good!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I second the caution with loading your boat and sharp or even not so sharp edges. I had a crew member not follow my instructions pulling into a take out and swung my boat into the side of the trailer and it hit the rod the supports the roller on the back of the trailer and punctured the boat. The hole ended up at the baffle in the middle of the tube and was a pain to fix, and that was the first hole in the boat. Now I am super paranoid when it comes to loading my boat at the take out, and watch EVERY square edge. I would be very cautious with the supports for you rollers it takes a lot less that you think to puncture a boat. Even traveling down the road if it shifts when you hit a bump it wont take much to wear a hole it in.
Old 04-15-2016   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
I was actually more thinking of transport and potential for constant abrasion. Even with a rolled edge, it's something I'd keep an eye on. But Campo sounds like he won't have that problem with the boat having a foot on each side.

The talk of loading and unloading might be more of the legit concern.
Old 04-15-2016   #9

Monte Vista, Colorado
Quote:
I was actually more thinking of transport and potential for constant abrasion. Even with a rolled edge, it's something I'd keep an eye on. But Campo sounds like he won't have that problem with the boat having a foot on each side.

The talk of loading and unloading might be more of the legit concern.
Agree...I do think the ramp is going to really help as well! I will try to post pictures this evening!

Also, comments on adding a enclosed storage compartment underneath.
Old 04-15-2016   #10

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
looks nice!
You could use it as a mini golf course hole in the off-season