The ultimate boot?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-29-2016   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
The ultimate boot??

So far I've been boating with standard Keen sandals over my Kokatat drysuit socks. I want to get a better pair of dedicated water boots. I've been looking at the Velocity and WorkBoot from NRS but should I be looking at anything else. Here is what I need.

Descent support for hiking but not too awkward stiff when I go for a swim. traction that will not harm a raft while walking on the floor all day.

Also when I get to camp I would like to be able to walk around the beach for a while without sand getting in the boot or the water ports.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016   #2

Atb boot.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I have had a pair of the NRS Workboot for a number of years and I really like them. I don't always wear them but when I do they are great. I use them with bare feet and over dry suit booties and they are great for both.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016   #4
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
All the NRS stuff I have used has been junk, haven't tried anything from them since 2014 though. Keens always trap rocks and gravel.

These are pretty much the best if you are doing technical boating and need to scramble on rocks or walk or stay in your frame. They aren't hurky like the atb so you can still swim good and way better traction then atb
5:10
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	11083
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I believe if you boat alot, your shoes will be junk in no time, especially if you live in a humid climate. I can't justify spending much on something so disposable. You can find military surplus "trainer" boots for really cheap, and they are super well built.

Sorry for the huge pic
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post
All the NRS stuff I have used has been junk, haven't tried anything from them since 2014 though. Keens always trap rocks and gravel.

These are pretty much the best if you are doing technical boating and need to scramble on rocks or walk or stay in your frame. They aren't hurky like the atb so you can still swim good and way better traction then atb
Attachment 11083
Ive had these for two season, had to put some rivets in the pull strap on back because I tore both first time using. Great shoes, but like others have said, water destroys shoes.

NRS has the Velocity which look like they might last at least a season. I have the NRS Crush and they are awesome:
NRS Velocity Water Shoe at nrs.com
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #7

little rock, Arkansas
I've always just worn my wading shoes when I'm in a dry suit (which usually means OC1) and that's worked well for me. Others' mileage may vary. Most of the boaters around here like the 5.10s with the Astral Rasslers coming in second. Some of the old timers I know swear by sneakers with the laces tucked in.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #8
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I do run a wading boot sometimes, these are awesome lightweight yet support well. Felt soles work awesome but everyone has a invasive species phobia now a days.

That NRS velocity reminds me of grandpa walking through walmart with his velcro shoes, holy ugly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	11084
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post

Attachment 11083
Thanks everyone for their input so far. I'm seeing some great ideas.

GreenWall, what is the model of that one? Thanks
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
I believe if you boat alot, your shoes will be junk in no time, especially if you live in a humid climate. I can't justify spending much on something so disposable. You can find military surplus "trainer" boots for really cheap, and they are super well built.

Sorry for the huge pic
I will say, 3 years ago I started using a spare pair of decent (Belleville) desert combat boots that were 2 sizes too big for fly fishing with my waders and they've out-performed and out-lasted any name-brand boots I've had for scrambling on rocks and getting around mossy areas and such. So far every raft trip I've preferred sandals, but I'd have no problem with the boots.
syncromike is offline   Reply With Quote