The CandlePot aka a campfire in a can... a spiritual how to journey... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 12-18-2019   #1
..is doing the damn thing

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The CandlePot aka a campfire in a can... a spiritual how to journey...

First off, let me start by saying I by no way invented this thing. It's been done for awhile. But in the absence of being able to find solid information on the intrawebz on how to make them, I figured a tutorial is in order...

What's the %&*# is a candle pot?

I was introduced to the candle pot by a friend that had a buddy bring one on a GC trip. Legend has it was initially built out of a pressure cooker so it could be sealed up against water and snuffed out quickly should the need arise. She built her own out of an ammo can (i.e. the CandleCan).

Imagine a vessel containing cardboard oriented vertical. The vessel is filled with parafin wax up to about 1/4" away from the top edge of the cardboard. The cardboard serves as the "wick".

How do I use it?
Once it's built, you simply have to set the top on alight to get it going. I use my "big match" to get it raging quick, but if you get a corner going with a lighter, you can tip it side to side to get it going across the entire top. The secret is to replenish the wax as it burns off. Just throw another brick of parafin wax on the candlecan, it will melt and maintain the level.

How do I make one?
Glad you asked!
1. Find a vessel. You can use anything really, but shallow is better as you dont need the depth. I found a shallow frying pan for my large one, but also used a old military first aid kit for a trip down the Gunny.

2. Pack it full of cardboard strips. I use a drywall T to cut long strips and then pack em in.

3. Melt wax. I use a sacrificial pot for this but they clean up fine. It can take a bunch of wax to saturate the cardboard and fill it up. Buy in bulk of the intramanet as you'll be using blocks to maintain it during use.

Care and Feeding your Candlepot
Yes, you need to bring wax with you. Keep and eye on the wax level and throw another block on when it gets low. More "wick" exposed gets you a bigger flame, less "wick" and it lays down more. Make sure you give it time to cool before you rig it. The heat can transfer through to the vessel. Try to keep it dry-ish. The splattering of the water sucks... You can add citronella oil to make it a bug candle. I rig mine by running a strap through the lid handle and pot handles andtighten it up. Keeps it dry enough...

Legaleeze
I don't know where this sits in the burn restriction school of thought. I sure when the stakes are high, it's a no go, just gather around your lantern or blaster. It throws no sparks and puts out pretty good heat and it extinguishable immediately when you put on the lid. When we showed it to the ranger at the Gunny Chukar during a burn ban, they said it was fine. I dont recall the stage/restrictions, but I do recall no campfires was the theme.

It will never replace a real campfire, but it works for us when we dont want to deal with humping in wood and out ashes. It does a great job of setting the evening ambiance though.

Enjoy!

ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019   #2

Loveland, Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5830.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	41227

Large pot
Old 12-18-2019   #3

Loveland, Colorado
Find a vessel... I used this to change oil in a previous life...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5740.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	41229

Fill with cardboard...

Name:	3D4844C6-41C5-48B9-BF0E-FB193556B8A8.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	41231

Let you ADD run rampant

Name:	IMG_5757.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	41233

Fill with wax and set on fire...

Name:	IMG_5828.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	41235

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019   #4

Loveland, Colorado
The CandleKit...Click image for larger version

Name:	683e070f-ae06-4af5-865c-115e7c6af9f9.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	41237

Which is amazing as you just flip the lid when you need to snuff it out
Old 12-18-2019   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
That's fantastic! I imagine a 1gal paint can would be a good midsize solution with its waterproof-ish lid.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019   #6

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
That's fantastic! I imagine a 1gal paint can would be a good midsize solution with its waterproof-ish lid.
Honestly, if you could trim it down to 4" tall it would be. But any taller then that and it would just be overly heavy and not used. I bet you could trim and fold/crimp somehow...
Old 12-18-2019   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Yes, now that you mention it, I see that you would want more width than height.

Seems that a 9 inch metal cake pan would work great, and a piece of scrap sheet metal or aluminum foil for a snuffer, the whole thing would fit in a Ziploc bag..
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019   #8

That's a neat idea. How much extra wax do you carry to replenish what burns off?
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #9

Denver, Colorado
Same idea as a hobo fire...coffee can, roll of tp, bottle of rubbing alcohol. It'll burn all night.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #10

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
That's a neat idea. How much extra wax do you carry to replenish what burns off?
Kinda depends on how long you’re going to burn it and the surface area you create. My smaller one I take 2-3 blocks per night. The big one I put 2-3 on at a time. You have to play with it and see.