The CandlePot aka a campfire in a can... a spiritual how to journey... - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 12-22-2019   #31

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I'm going to try and build a couple of these, I have a few cookie tins and the cardboard, I need to purchase the wax. I think they will come in handy, in more ways than one. Last time my power went out at the house, it was out for about 18 hours, these will be good for light in emergencies, camping, night time floating etc. I have to go out and shop for some supplies for my first-aid kit that I keep in the car, something leaked I think, the stuff is in bad shape, so I will pick up some wax too, 10 lb. block should do it, I believe. Thank you for the idea

I would probably try something a little more stout than a cookie tin. I suggest going over to a thrift store and picking up an old pan with a fitting lid. Also, the shallower the pan the better. Deeper pans don't seem to work as well and takes a lot more wax. A large diameter shallow pan is your friend.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019   #32

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Sky man, I'm trying to post a photo but I get a message that memory is to low. Is the problem on my side or MB side, do I have to something on MB? Trying to post photo of my cookie tin. Thanks
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019   #33

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
We have a max image memory hosting limit.

If you post from your phone you’ll go through that quickly.

Resize and upload from your PC
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019   #34

thornton, Colorado
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
We have a max image memory hosting limit.

If you post from your phone you’ll go through that quickly.

Resize and upload from your PC
We have one little problem, I don't own a computer, never have. I definitely know how to use them. I have purchased them for the kids. I should go to Best Buy after Christmas and pick one up, it's been on my to do list anyway. The last one that was here I gave to my nephew, printer and all. Definitely appreciate the explanation, too.
Old 12-23-2019   #35

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
We have one little problem, I don't own a computer, never have. I definitely know how to use them. I have purchased them for the kids. I should go to Best Buy after Christmas and pick one up, it's been on my to do list anyway. The last one that was here I gave to my nephew, printer and all. Definitely appreciate the explanation, too.

You can always text yourself the photo, MMS has a limit of 1MB IIRC, so your text client will compress the photo when it sends it.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #36

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
I did make something from similar materials last week. I took drier lint that I'd been saving, put a pile in each cup of a cardboard egg carton, and poured melted wax all over them. Emergency fire starter! I put two or three each in vacuum seal bags and will stash them in various places. I kind of want to see if I can light one with a magnesium spark generator or if I have to use a lighter or propane torch.

You might need some lint on top that isn't wax-saturated to kindle the magnesium sparks.

I also put sawdust in mine. Like the lint, it's a wick for the wax and has a few more BTU's.

Quote:
Next time I make them, I might mix some petroleum jelly in with the molten wax before pouring.

Could smear some of that petroleum jelly on top. I think it would burn at a lower flash point than wax.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #37

Denver, Colorado
I think I'm going to try to make a small one with citronella in a holiday cookie tin. Seems like a good anti-bug weapon.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Castle Rock, Colorado
This is great. I made one over the weekend and it was super simple. I melted the wax in a double boiler and it was easy. I preheated the oven and kept the tin in the over till I poured the wax in. I think the oven allowed more wax to be absorbed by the corrugated cardboard. I burned it for a couple hours in this pretty sturdy tin and bedsides the paint peeling off, it held up nicely. The lid put the fire immediately out. Pretty slick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E09BE11-B63C-47DE-93F7-AE521F16BE10_1580836137839.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	42217   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7AAD9C5-1DA4-4EBC-B171-E3925814E87A_1580836161825.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	42219  

Sparks1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

Eagle, Colorado
This is a great idea! I am going to have to go "parts" shopping this week end! As for the fire starters I make them out of cotton balls and petroleum jelly. Just thoroughly massage the gel into each cotton ball and bag up in a zip lock. It doesn't start big chunks of fire wood but will certainly get the job done.

On a side note we used to carry a small bag of Fritos in our packs and bug out bags and they did the job as well. ...and its a multi-tasker!
Nubie Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #40

thornton, Colorado
ok, my turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1000 View Post
This is great. I made one over the weekend and it was super simple. I melted the wax in a double boiler and it was easy. I preheated the oven and kept the tin in the over till I poured the wax in. I think the oven allowed more wax to be absorbed by the corrugated cardboard. I burned it for a couple hours in this pretty sturdy tin and bedsides the paint peeling off, it held up nicely. The lid put the fire immediately out. Pretty slick.
Thank you for your post, I put off finishing mine, because my understanding is that my tin may of been too thin. Here is a photo of mine, I just have to add the wax, I'm going to use your technique on adding the wax. Thanks to the Buzzards advise I am able to post photos again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_125125.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	42243