The CandlePot aka a campfire in a can... a spiritual how to journey... - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 12-19-2019   #11

C. Springs, Colorado
I made one like this as an emergency heat source for in cave use. I used a 1 quart paint can . Thanks for sharing your idea of making a large campfire version. I never thought about adding wax during use. Makes perfect sense and I'll have to give it a try.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019   #12

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
Kinda depends on how long youíre going to burn it and the surface area you create. My smaller one I take 2-3 blocks per night. The big one I put 2-3 on at a time. You have to play with it and see.
2-3 of the full size blocks at a time or 2-3 of the quarters?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #13
..is doing the damn thing

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Kinda depends on the size of the block you buy. I get 10# that break off in 3x4x1.5 blocks. I use those. Again, kinda have to play w it
ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019   #14

Kalispell, Montana
gotcha. thanks. Guessing that's roughly 1/2 of the normal 1# boxes (~3"x3"x5") per "block". A pound is usually ~$4 in the grocery store.

Wow, where do you find 10#? Costco?
Old 12-19-2019   #15

Loveland, Colorado
I keep an eye out at michaels/hobby lobby for sales and amazon has good deals.
Old 12-19-2019   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Before adding the wax to the container of cardboard, it really makes a big deference if you put the container in an oven and pre heat to 176 degrees Fahrenheit. After filling with wax leave, in oven for about one hour at 170+ degrees, check level, add more wax to top off (it will have settled) and it will burn a lot longer if you do this. Add a pine scent to the wax for a little more fun. To make it easier to light I like to add several pipe cleaners as wicks for easy lighting.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...in-Wax/p/29797
Old 12-19-2019   #17

Loveland, Colorado
Again, kinda depends on the surface area burning. My big one Iíll add a round of blocks every hour-ish? Gotta play with it.
Old 12-19-2019   #18

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Before adding the wax to the container of cardboard, it really makes a big deference if you put the container in an oven and pre heat to 176 degrees Fahrenheit. After filling with wax leave, in oven for about one hour at 170+ degrees, check level, add more wax to top off (it will have settled) and it will burn a lot longer if you do this. Add a pine scent to the wax for a little more fun. To make it easier to light I like to add several pipe cleaners as wicks for easy lighting.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...in-Wax/p/29797

Genius. Although I never have problems getting it started with my meth torch
Old 12-19-2019   #19

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
I keep an eye out at michaels/hobby lobby for sales and amazon has good deals.
Sure, and there's always the 40% off single item Hobby Lobby perpetual coupon.
Old 12-20-2019   #20

Denver/Salida, Colorado
Thanks for sharing with everyone. I just learned about these before my Sept GC trip. Made one out of a 10" dutch oven I found at Goodwill for $6. I brought 45lbs of wax with us on the Grand for a 21 days. Sounds like a lot, but much more compact than any other option. Mine burns around 2+lbs in an hour/hour and a half. As OP says, you have to play around, wax consumption will vary a lot.

A couple notes that I have that may or may not be repeats:
- Get the wax ahead of time on sale (Michaels, etc.), otherwise it's pretty pricey.
- Avoid cast iron, go with a lighter metal. The cast iron heats up too much and it almost seemed to boil the wax. The wax consumption rate really increased when it got hot.
- As others have said, a torch is really helpful, especially in wind.
- I thought it would be too small for our group of 15 people, but it really wasn't. As long as you don't need the heat, it's just something for people to gather around and focus on. Everyone on the trip seemed to love it... easy setup, compact, and no ashes to deal with.
- A good lid that can be strapped down is really helpful to put out the flame and for transport/storage.
- I came back from the GC with over 15 lbs of extra wax, but I think 45lbs was about right for my candle pot for 21 days. Some nights you don't use it, others you burn it longer than you anticipated.
brownel is offline   Reply With Quote