Tent for rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2011   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Tent for rafting

I know there is another thread on Tents and I didn't want to hijack it since the person asked about a permanent tent.

My question is more about rafting tent, the one you need to take up and down every day.

I just got off Yampa and decided I didn't like my current tent. I own a Springbar and REI Half dome tents. I love Springbar for how roomy, warm and big it is, however I hate the weight. I love the Half dome for the low weight and easy setup, but hate it for lack of privacy (unless you use a fly), head room and breeze through the windows.

So I am looking for a new tent this weekend and wanted to get some feedback. Here is my ultimate tent:

1. Low weight and packed size.
2. Head room enough to stand up to change clothes
3. 3-4 season, enough to be semi warm in the cold of early spring
4. Big enough for a small family (me, my wife and my son)
5. Be able to fit gear in
6. Zippable windows
7. Good ventilation when needed
8. Easy/Fast setup (obviously)
9. Easy door entrance (I hate crawling or diving into a tent)

So does a beast exist that will come close to my "ultimate" tent?

Thanks all for feedback.

Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011   #2

I have had my eye on this one for a while...similar situation, wife, boy, dog and myself.
Backcountry Barn<sup>™</sup>
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
That is alot of tent.
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Looks nice, but a bit too big for me. I was looking for half that size...thanks for the link though
Old 05-06-2011   #5

Kanab, Utah
While working on forest fires, we typically use the "60 second" tents. They are pretty durable and there are several sizes, the big one you can stand up in to get dressed. The best part about them is they are very quick to set up and take just slightly longer to take down. They are a little heavy for backpacking, though. Here's a link to one:

Line Gear : Catoma Wind Creek SpeeDome (9' x 11') [64580] - $249.00
slashvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
slashvee, that is a cool looking tent. Have you been in one in a rain? How did it hold up? Are doors easy to open and is it good ventilation?

I've read it has heat resisting fly, it might be very useful on the desert floats.
Old 05-06-2011   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 5 ZF FG Tent | Overstock.com I picked up one of these tents a year ago. Been thru a couple CO thunderstorms. Easy to put up, plenty of room for two folks and construction on mine is really good. And, the price just cannot be beat. check em out, they have a bunch of Alps tents and all are at great prices
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #8

Kanab, Utah
They do great in the rain. I've slept in them for a whole week of steady drizzle with just a small amount of seepage/condensation around the lower part. The door is nice and big and the ventilation is better than average. The only problem I've ever seen with them is during high winds the wind can get under the fly and cause it to lift. We usually remove them if the wind gets really bad. If you had rain AND high winds it might be iffy. I've slept over 100 nights in mine with good luck.
slashvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #9

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Moss Trillium for sale - Trailspace.com

I used to have one of these. I think Moss got bought out but this is an amazing family tent!
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I too have been searching for a tent for rafting that is also big enough to stand up in. So far I've discovered that no matter how much you spend on a big standing height tent you will always have to guy out the rainfly in windy conditions. We have a large Browning ( Greystone 4 Grey/Gold ) that we picked up for cheap and it held up awesomely in high winds up in Buena Vista, CO at the end of March and in the morning it was noticeably cooler outside of the tent but not what I would consider warm compared to a smaller tent with a shorter height. We have camped with 3 adult people multiple times and it never feels crowded (until someone snores), it has huge screens so even though it's nylon it's still cool - the fly is also sort of a light grey reflective color so that probably helps it in the cooling dept.

We camped in the rain last year in it and stayed completely dry and were able to make breakfast in comfort. The floor is heavy material and held up to a cot without a pad under it without tearing the floor. If the fly is on you can dress in privacy while standing up which is really, really nice when you're used to backpacking tents.

The downside of tall tents:

IF you don't guy down the fly because the ground is too hard where you are camping or you don't think it will be stormy and a storm blows up your poles will break. You have to guy out in wind, period, or you will soon be the proud owner of a deflated tent.

The search continues...
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting