Table top vs Freestanding stoves - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 6 Hours Ago   #11

evanston, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1968
stoves

I prefer tabletops. My friend's partner 4 burner with legs was heavy. I have used an older aluminum campchef that had high output burners ( no longer made new) as well as the campchef Everest. Carried one for backup to friends setup or carried two if only stove setup. Used a splitter from propane tank. I never had my stoves fail, but have seen others do so. Backup for multiday trip is a good idea. Both stoves come with windscreens. I have seen partners w/o windscreens not produce enough heat to cook on.

eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Hours Ago   #12

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I've been on trips with both...and prefer the heck out of the table top ones over the big clunky camp chef ones that you have to assemble every time at camp. If you really need the standalone one, get a partner and get the legs for it. I couldn't justify getting a partner since it always seems someone else has one, so I just got a no-name Coleman style propane stove and it works just fine when I need it. I back it up with my Woodland Power Stove.

Honestly...if I'm going solo...I'll just bring the Woodland Power Stove. It actually does an admirable job as a general use stove and it packs down small. I have an adapter for it so I can use the 1lb. tanks so overall its a pretty compact setup.
The nice thing about running a WPS off a green tank is that if you're out of ice, just crank it up and scrape the sides of the tank.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #13

Eagle, Colorado
Campchef Mountaineer table top...... Does a great job. The table and the stove are lighter and more compact than the big two or three burners.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Hours Ago   #14

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
I carry a foldable stove stand with my tabletop stove. Very light and efficient.
OregonianRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Minutes Ago   #15

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a camp chef mountaineer that I take on the river and the big camp chef with a griddle I keep at home or car camping. I looked at the leg kit for the camp chef mountaineer but the legs are really short.. I built a leg kit for my camp chef mountaineer and love it.. I use a old roll a cot bag for the legs. One less thing to be on a table. I did a lot of filing to take off any sharp edges after the pics where taken.
Attached Images

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote