Swiss Army or Leatherman Tool? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2017   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Swiss Army or Leatherman Tool?

My Aunt passed away a couple months ago and left me with about 18 multi tools my uncle accumulated over the years ( Leatherman waves, Surge, SOG's and Swiss Army knives). I'm going to donate them and other camping equipment to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scout troupe that my neighbor's up street work with and take on camping trips. I want to keep one in memory of my Aunt and Uncle, I know nothing about the Swiss Army knives or how they hold up under normal use. So looking for input from boaters that are familiar with them. The other one that looks neat, that I have never seem before is the Leatherman Tool with cork screw, fork, bottle opener and cheese spreading knife, might keep that one instead and donate the Swiss Army knife. I don't want to keep both, that would just be a waste. The Leatherman on the left, is one that I have had on many river trips and thought I lost but found a few months later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-21 21.43.49.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	902.8 KB
ID:	24034  

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2017   #2

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Keep the Leatherman. The needle nose pliers on it will come in handy. It looks like it has a can opener like the Swiss knife has. Does it?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd put the Leatherman in my boat repair kit and the Swiss army knife in my first aid kit.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2017   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
I like the Leatherman with the serrated blade. Knives go dull quick.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #5

I'd probably keep one of the waves or surge, just more of all around tools and I like using them more with the outside opening tools and comfort. The pst on the left is older, that one in the middle is a Flair, not sure when they quit making it. Definitely a different tool set, kinda cool they tried to do something for the cheese and wine set lol

Swiss army knives definitely have a following...I like the first aid kit idea.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #6

thornton, Colorado
Yes, the Leatherman Tool has a can opener. To me the Leatherman's are very well constructed. The original Leatherman in the photo was purchased by me in 1984. It is pretty rugged. Rafting, it has been used to open tight valves, cut patching materal, fix stoves etc. Hunting, I have used it to field dress a deer ( just to see if it could). Flying, FL 410 used it on my very stuck cock-pit seat pin. and to repair a bathroom door. The Swiss Army knife's are neat as hell with all their tools and accessories but I don't know how, they will hold up under repeated and fairly rugged use over years, with in reason ( I'm not familiar with them). I can see where they would have a following though. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-22-2017   #7

SLC, Utwah
The Flair has turned into a collectors items with a cult following with knife nerds. Throw it in your kitchen kit. You will find it to be pretty handy to have around. I have one that goes on all multi-days.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #8

thornton, Colorado
That is interesting about the Leatherman Flair, I will keep it. When I thought I lost my original Leatherman I went out and purchased a Leatherman Crunch, what a pain in the ass to get it to function. I never used it and when I found my old Leatherman a couple months later I went back to the shop where I purchased the Crunch, with sales slip in hand and explained what had happened, showed him my old one he gladly refunded my money, great guy. Yes, the Wave and Surge are great and I like them very much but it is time to pass the torch to the younger generation and let them make their own out door memories, my Aunt and Uncle would appreciate that. Thanks for all the information.
Old 11-22-2017   #9

thornton, Colorado
When I turn the multi-tools over to Jim and Cindy for their Boy and Girl Scout troups I will advise them to place a Swiss Army knife in their first aid kits, I think that is an excelent idea. Their going to think I'm a genus.
Old 11-22-2017   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I like to keep a small Swiss Army knife in my pocket most days, or in a First Aid Kit on the river. I prefer a three layer one with fewer gadgets but easier to carry. The implements that get the most use are..

1. scissors
2. tweezers
3. cork screw or bottle opener
4. eye glass screw driver
5. tooth pick
6. ball point pen! (filled out lots of camp fee or parking pass fee slips)
7. knife blade

In my opinion the really thick Swiss Army knives with lots of tools are not particularity useful. Too heavy to carry in the pocket for long. The grip for most tool uses has very poor ergonomics, too wide in the hand. It would make a great prize for any boy scout or girl scout.

I have carried one in my pocket for several decades, it gets daily use. The true Swiss Army knives made by Victorinox are of high quality and very durable.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote