Supplemental inflation for rafters (PFD) - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-30-2014   #1

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Supplemental inflation for rafters (PFD)

I'm watching a big wave surfing tournament from Mavericks- and the competitors are wearing a CO2 supplemental safety device. I see backcountry avalanche packs using a similar concept- will we see this become commonplace for whitewater? Anybody see a downside to this sort of device- augmenting a PFD, of course.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I would never wear one on the water unless I did not have a life jacket and I never raft without a life jacket. If you did wear one it would have to be over your life jacket. You have to be conscious to pull the rip cord. They are not even that popular with snowmobilers we for the most part go with the good old probe pole, shovel and avalanche beacon.
In answer to your question, no we will never see them on rivers as a replacement for life jackets.
Old 12-30-2014   #3

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Steve Fisher recently used something similar when filming The Grand Inga Project. He had to use the device when sucked into a whirlpool at one point. They also had some kind of breathing apparatus in their vests(10-15 breaths). Having one without the other didn't seem like a good idea. Granted the size of the water features there are unusual, but wearing such devices IMO would be to run beyond a river's normal flow. Obviously, it is edited, but he didn't seem to happy with its performance after the swim.

This might ruffle some feathers, but... get a Creature Craft if you wanna strap an inflatable to yourself. You will run way crazier stuff in a CC than you would ever dream of in a round boat with a CO2 auto-inflating thingy.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014   #4

cedar city, Utah
There possibility is there for sure. My pfd has an Add-a-Bouy and I could see a ripcord version of that being viable for bigger water and certain parameters. Not sure it will be relevant to most enthusiasts but who knows what people will do with technology.

I know of people who use the fisherman's pfds with those bladders for pack rafting but I find that reckless.

Maybe an inflatable headrest with CO2, i.e. like some outfitters jackets?

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
"Supplemental"- as in an addition to a PFD. If you were being recirc'd wouldn't you want the option of doubling your buoyancy as a last measure?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #6

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyswimmer View Post
They also had some kind of breathing apparatus in their vests(10-15 breaths).
Probably one of these:

Spare Air - the smallest redundant SCUBA system available with enough air to get you to the surface in an out-of-air emergency.

After taking a scuba class I wondered when kayakers or Class V boaters would start carrying them.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014   #7

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
It was a "Rapid Air"...

Rapid Products.com | Extra air to breathe for Water Sports
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 93'
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would never wear one on the water unless I did not have a life jacket and I never raft without a life jacket. If you did wear one it would have to be over your life jacket. You have to be conscious to pull the rip cord. They are not even that popular with snowmobilers we for the most part go with the good old probe pole, shovel and avalanche beacon.
In answer to your question, no we will never see them on rivers as a replacement for life jackets.
Why are they not popular with snowmobilers? is it price? It is my understanding that most avalanche professionals regard avi airbags as one of the greatest developments in avalanche safety gear in the past 10 years. There are also multiple accounts where having an airbag deployed has resulted in many avalanche victims being found on the surface of some MASSIVE slides...
utrafter is offline   Reply With Quote