super duper puma multi day? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2013   #1
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
super duper puma multi day?

I see a fair amount of ?'s from folks looking at an Aire SDP wondering of it is ok for multi day. Of course with 2 people it is a great boat. We got off a lower salmon and Grande Ronde combo a week ago. We did 4 nights on the lower salmon with 3 adults and 1 dog in the SDP and 1 lynx IK. About half the trip, we had all the peeps and IK stored on the SDP. We went mid-weight style and didn't really skimp on anything. Had a cooler, enought beers, left chairs and used Hawaii grass mats and crazy creek and IK couch. Ate good food, sockeye fillet night 1, venison back strap cut up with some peppers and onions night 2, home made tamales made before hand and cooked on the trip in the dutch oven night 3, DO pizza night 4.

So the answer is, pack smart and the SDP can hold quite a load for many days. I rowed all the larger rapids with everyone in the boat the load did not present any manouvering problem. The water level was about 2" below the bottom of the handle when fully loaded.

Another gear tip, those $3 roll up grass mats you see at all the ABC stores in Hawaii make nice light weight lounging material for the Salmon, as well as a great front porch for the tent.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #2
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
I have a 130D , I have never seen a SDP in person but I know my boat is smaller. I have 2 dry boxes and a cooler in it with lots of room still. I love the smaller packages. Thanks for the share!
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Well the gal in the short green nightgown sure looks happy about things, so you must be doing something right.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm contemplating a switch from my 14 ft. cat to a raft. I also have a 12 ft. Hyside raft that I may or may not keep as well. My top pick at the moment is a Sotar SL (diminishing tube) in either a 13 or 14. Good to get some info from folks who run smaller boats. Since I generally run solo on my boat with a rare human or canine passenger I keep thinking that a 13 would be good. But I don't want to regret going small later on. Shap & Orto11....any regrets on your boat size choice? Orto11, any pics of your boat loaded for a multi-day that you can post? Since yours is a diminishing tube 13 footer it would be great to see what it looks like.
Thanks
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Well the gal in the short green nightgown sure looks happy about things, so you must be doing something right.
working on 15 years married, grande ronde/lower salmon combo was her idea. I advise Alaska women, they know how to have a good time! She has an AK women sticker on her car that says "Alaska Women Are Unfuckwithable"
Old 08-04-2013   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Shap ....any regrets on your boat choice
wish I would have got a saturn

serious answer, No
Old 08-04-2013   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
unfuckwithable

Old 08-11-2013   #8

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Shapp, did you get that boat for a low water owyhee rig? It looks like it will fit the bill nicely. I love my little boat for weekend overnights. The owyhee is on the list for '14. I'm going to be ready in march this year so I can split at the drop of a hat if it happens early and I can pick my weather (somewhat).
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Shapp, did you get that boat for a low water owyhee rig? It looks like it will fit the bill nicely. I love my little boat for weekend overnights. The owyhee is on the list for '14. I'm going to be ready in march this year so I can split at the drop of a hat if it happens early and I can pick my weather (somewhat).
I didn't get it for a low water Owyhee rig per say, but I got it for a low water technical boat that would fit my wife, dog and gear for a week. The first trip I actually ever took it on was the Lower Owyhee. My low water Owyhee rig is a lynx double IK, wish I guess is my high water boat as well as I paddled the double lynx at nearly 2x flood stage on the upper owyhee a couple years ago.

maiden voyage on the Owyhee April 2008 rigged differently than my dialed in current setup

Nearly current setup (except now have landing pad up front and different oar towers):

Old 08-25-2013   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Grande Ronde at 600cfs after lower salmon

After the 3 person trip on the Lower Salmon, we drove immediately over to the Grande Ronde and put on at Minam the next day, with me, wife and dog, went down to Wildcat at 600 cfs. Ditched the cooler and went medium weight. Had to get out about 5 times for about 10 seconds to push off shallows after taking the wrong slots.