Sunglasses with Sweet Protection Strutter - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2018   #1

Glens Falls, New York
Paddling Since: 1998
Sunglasses with Sweet Protection Strutter

It may seem mundane, but I wonder if anyone might have some input or advice here. I just got a Sweet Protection Strutter helmet and I'm having some trouble with my sunglasses fitting while wearing it.

Can anyone suggest a good pair of sunglasses that fit while wearing the strutter? Are there sunglasses that are made to be worn while wearing a helmet?

adkguide518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I generally don't wear sunglasses with my Sweet Strutter...the lobes that come down at your temples and behind your ears make it really difficult for any molded sunglass bows to fit inside/under the helmet. At least the helmet has a deeply curved brim that does a good job of shading my eyes.

Your only solution might be aviators or other glasses with a very thin wire bow that might fit inside the helmet. I have worn aviators inside a hockey helmet for an outdoor hockey tournament.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Same here. I don't wear sunglasses with my Strutter. Never found a pair that would fit well.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2018   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Adk: I know what you mean, I bought a Strutter this year and ran into the exact same problem. There are curved tabs on the helmet that extend below the brim, where the front part of the Y-strap is. I didn't notice them at first, but after two days on the Colorado with an old pair of Julbo sunglasses, it was driving me crazy. Those tabs were pushing on the earpieces, which in turn pressed the nosepiece into my nose. Distracting and a bit painful after a few hours.

I decided to get an old pair of plastic aviator-style sunglasses with wire ear loops off eBay, then had new polarized lenses put in, they work really well. Used them for two days in Alaska last month, no complaints. I think the trick is to get sunglasses with ear pieces that are attached halfway down the side of the main frame, vs. at top. That keeps those tabs from pressing down on the earpieces. Fwiw, I chose wire ear loops, I figured they'd be more secure if I went for a swim.

Good luck,

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote