Sun Damage Tube Repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2018   #1

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Sun Damage Tube Repair

I have cat tubes that sat in the sun before I bought them. The slick clear coat is gone on the tops of the tubes and they feel a little gritty/rough now. Is their anything to 'recover' the tubes with?

Thanks

NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Rafts don't have clear coat...

Your best bet is system 6 urethane from Man of Rubber, but if the UV damage is too deep, it might not last.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
System 6 is a good option that will work well but there are a few things you should know. I reconditioned a boat last year and it turned out better than expected! That said, this project was a nightmare and I swore that I would never do it again. I spent roughly 40 hours in prep and at least 10 hours taping and painting. In addition it took 1.5 gallons to cover a 14 foot boat. Cost with everything was about $500 (tape, brushes, rags, mek, primer and paint, drop clothes). The neighbors complained because the urethane paint smell is potent! System 6 is not an option if you don't have a garage.
CU_Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If its an Aire boat, id say dont bother and just run her till the end. With their bladder system the tube is just protection...as long as the bottoms and sides look ok she should be fine for a few years. Slapping on some big patches under where the frame rest might be easy fix.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
restore

If the tubes are vinyl you can get some Vinyl restore in a bottle in floor care at Wal-mart. Less than 10 bucks. Put the tubes in the sun to warm up mostly inflated. Wash with soap and water and rinse and towel dry.Then put the vinyl restore on thick and let it soak in maybe thirty minutes, then wipe off excess. It does a nice job of rejuvenating the vinyl. If the material is Hypalon try the NRS product for cleaning rafts, then some 303 protectant.
Priceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #6

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
If the tubes are vinyl you can get some Vinyl restore in a bottle in floor care at Wal-mart. Less than 10 bucks. Put the tubes in the sun to warm up mostly inflated. Wash with soap and water and rinse and towel dry.Then put the vinyl restore on thick and let it soak in maybe thirty minutes, then wipe off excess. It does a nice job of rejuvenating the vinyl. If the material is Hypalon try the NRS product for cleaning rafts, then some 303 protectant.
You peeked my interest a bit, although I am generally skeptical of any magic in a bottle.

I can't find anything called "vinyl restore" nor anything else that seems to fit the description at walmart.com. can you specify what product you are referring to?
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
new description

I was a bit confused, should have know working from memory in my case might be a bit risky. The stuff is called Rejuvenate. There is all floor restorer or wood floor restorer, I use all floor restorer. There is probably nothing that will make sun damage disappear, but this stuff seems to re-hydrate it a bit. Before using you could even lightly sand the damaged areas to remove the grit, then Rejuvenate it. After you finish the treatment, you can do it again and get an even better finish. After you are done I have found the Rejuvenate does not mix well with 303 protector, so I would not use any 303 until after a few trips. You can also try it on the bottoms or some less visible area and see how it works. Also I have found much good magic in a bottle.
Priceless is offline   Reply With Quote