strapping a table to an NRS frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-27-2014   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
strapping a table to an NRS frame

Hey everyone, we have a new NRS campsite counter table that we would like to strap on top of the front bay of our NRS frame.

Due to the length of the table & width of the frame, the rounded corners of the table sit on top of the LoPro frame fittings. These are the only points of contact between the table and the frame.

Ideally, I'd like for more points of contact and/or a more secure solution for strapping the table to the frame. Any ideas or solutions that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated! Pictures would be even better!

Thanks.

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #2

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Only solutions that come to mind are a plywood hatch cover, with or without plywood side decks, to give you the height to clear the LoPros. Or maybe some pipe insulation if you can find it for that large of pipe.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoanthony View Post
Hey everyone, we have a new NRS campsite counter table that we would like to strap on top of the front bay of our NRS frame.

Due to the length of the table & width of the frame, the rounded corners of the table sit on top of the LoPro frame fittings. These are the only points of contact between the table and the frame.

Ideally, I'd like for more points of contact and/or a more secure solution for strapping the table to the frame. Any ideas or solutions that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated! Pictures would be even better!

Thanks.
Can you post a picture so we can see the problem in detail. That might help with answers. Is the table hard to secure, or are you trying to protect the table & Lopro, or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
If they are straight up crossbars you can get longer ubolts from nrs. Place a set of standard lock nuts down to secure the crossbars to the frame. Then add some 2x4 cedar with holes drilled for the threads and countersunk to recess a second set of the nuts.
You will want to use a small bit then a Forster or boring bit, then open up the inside drill for the ubolt. It only needs to torque down enough to hold the wood --- the bottom nut is locking the frame together

Or you can do a similar thing with a piece of angle aluminum and wood if you remove and lengthen the low Pro to pipe bolt. The 2x then sits alongside not over the lo pros allowing easier frame breakdown. The 2x then spans the crossbar pipe

Your table then lays on the cedar which might gouge but protects your frame and your table. You can also add footman loops into the wood to help with strapping the table down
Old 01-28-2014   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for the ides so far, everyone.

Cat, here's some photos:

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #6

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Throw a pool noodle on each of the frame crossbars.

This seems like bad engineering from NRS.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Slide the next crossbar back so the table ends rest flush on the side rails. The 4 low pro's will then "lock" the table in place, both fore-aft and side to side. Use 2, 4 ft loop straps to hold the table down onto the cross bars. This is how I have mine set up (NRS table - NRS frame) and it works great. The conduit and skidguard are stong enough to support the weight on the table with it only supported at the ends. I run a drop bag under this table configuration, and it works great. If you leave the table elevated like that, eventually its going to drop down and pinch the bejeesus out of something or break someone's finger.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I cut pieces of 2x trex to act as cross bars. The trex is cut with a hole saw to match the ht. of the LowPro fittings.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
If you can't move the cross bars as watermonkey suggests, then I'd go with the pool noodle idea. Why not start with cheap & easy before fabricating something? For securement, you can run straps through that corner gap and secure to the crossbar, or cut a strap slot in the end of the table skidguard top to strap to the side rail. Are all 4 corners of the table balanced on the LoPros?
Old 01-28-2014   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1985
Strapping a frame to an NRS frame...

Hi There - we are an outfitter, and when we strap something like your campsite counter (for us it is typically tables), if it rubs we use blue ensolite foam (They are sold for sleeping pads at Walmart...) as a buffer between the 2 objects to save from rubbing-- I agree, why not start off cheap before getting all crazy!!

Here is a link to the foam:
Stansport Pack Lite Blue Camping Pad ? Walmart.com

Cheers - Ceiba

P.S. when you get it figured out - let us see it!!
ceiba@ceibaadventures.com is offline   Reply With Quote