strainer for dish washing - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2014   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
strainer for dish washing

Yea - not the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions strainer around here

Any cool solutions for a strainer for filtering out food chunks from cleaning? I've seen a few mono-filament strainers that sit inside a 5 gallon bucket but wasn't sure how it would hold up.

I've used a hand held strainer but to hold it and pour at the same time can sometimes be a 2 person job so to avoid that I was thinking of something that sits right on top of the bucket.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
AAA has one that sits on the top of a bucket. Just saw it on their website recently. $25. We just do the two man, handheld pour. I agree that's not always the most fun way to go. Can't begin to count how many times I've had nasty dish water splashed on my feet.
Old 03-04-2014   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This is going to be hard to explain mainly because I'm bad at explaining things:
I use the standard two bucket wash station but what i use is a nylon screen mesh that you can get at any hardware store. Take the third five gallon bucket and cut it in half just below the rings at the upper part of the bucket. Cut your mesh in a big round circle and place it over the top wash bucket then use your cut piece to place over your mesh to hold it between your upper bucket your cut bucket. Hope this helps p.m. me if you have any questions. Everyone seems to think its pretty cool. This year i haven't tried it but I'm going to use landscaping cloth to use instead of the mesh. It will be a one time use instead of carrying the mesh around because it gets gross and you can never get all the coffee grain out.
It is similar to the AAA setup but you can replace your screen.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I like your quote on the bottom of your post - remindes me of "This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

I really like the idea of the throwaway strainer material using the landscape fabric. I 'm wondering if the fabric would let water flow through it fast enough.

I am still a little unclear how it is set up. So the cut bucket piece actually sandwiches the screen into the empty wash bucket? What prevents the screen from just dropping down into the bucket below?
Old 03-04-2014   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
This is going to be hard to explain mainly because I'm bad at explaining things:
I use the standard two bucket wash station but what i use is a nylon screen mesh that you can get at any hardware store. Take the third five gallon bucket and cut it in half just below the rings at the upper part of the bucket. Cut your mesh in a big round circle and place it over the top wash bucket then use your cut piece to place over your mesh to hold it between your upper bucket your cut bucket. Hope this helps p.m. me if you have any questions. Everyone seems to think its pretty cool. This year i haven't tried it but I'm going to use landscaping cloth to use instead of the mesh. It will be a one time use instead of carrying the mesh around because it gets gross and you can never get all the coffee grain out.
It is similar to the AAA setup but you can replace your screen.
That is pretty cool, I am always breaking my strainer. I use a standard plastic strainer with a handle. I set it up on my handwash bucket and strain into there. When the bucket is full I discard as deemed best for the river by the powers that be. When packing up camp, the strainer gets stuffed in the handwash bucket which is typically when I break it. I like the mesh bag idea. I could see putting it across the top of my handwash bucket all of the time then pull it out when the bucket it ready to dump. Not sure if it would cut the mustard with the rangers for those rivers that you have to show it for inspection though.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #6

Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I buy the fabric paint strainers that fit a 5 gallon bucket.

Put the strainer in the bucket first, then dump dirty dishwater in it. Lift the strainer out and dump the water. Empty scraps in the trash. I reuse if on a multi day trip. Just dunk it in the bleach rinse so it doesn't get funky.

Trimaco 11523 Regular Mesh Elastic Top Bag Paint Strainer, 2-Pack - Amazon.com
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #7

Hi,

I made my strainers out of a piece of screen and two cross-sections of an old five gallon bucket. Cheap, easy, and quick.

Cut two adjacent two inch cross-sections from the plastic bucket. Put the screen between these round sections, and press the smaller one inside the larger one. The friction between the two holds the screen in place. But if you're really concerned about slippage, a few screws could be used to hold the two together. Nice and big, so pouring is easy, and it stows almost anywhere.

Of course there was the trip where our screen accidentally went in the river on the fourth or fifth day. We used the mesh lining from a pair of river shorts, interlaced over a loop of wire from somebody's repair kit. Good thing somebody on the trip was in the heavy jumbo category, so we could commandeer his shorts liner for the project...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #8

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
10" double fine strainer

I use a double fine strainer.. This 10 inch should fit right in a bucket.. I have got lots of compliments at river check in's from the rangers..
Amazon.com: 10" Stainless Steel Fine Double Mesh Strainer W/Flat Wooden Handle: Kitchen & Dining
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I would love to add to please, please broadcast your dishwater. At least on the Middle Fork and Main where that is called for. Dilute if possible with handwash or less yucky water if it is nasty strain into a fairly clean bucket and give that baby a wicked cross body launch spraying it over the widest area possible. Please.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #10

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You can buy a gold panning set up that fits perfect on a 5 gal bucket for about $15 at most army surplus stores.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote