storing tubes for winter / minimal use - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 12-04-2014   #1

watertown, New York
Paddling Since: 2008
storing tubes for winter / minimal use

so last week I deflated my pontoons, and I laid them in a spare bedroom flat, I do have a 6x13' shed I could store them in juiced down a little, but to me that isn't as good as deflated, and laid nearly flat in a heated room? Is there anything else I should do like wipe the tubes down with 303 ? I'm sorry to keep asking stupid questions guys but I'm new to rafts

steeldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
303 would be good.

I prefer inflated to deflated though for no real reason... the perceived reason would be less chance for creasing (but that's minimal anyways) and a vague inkling that storing anything in the shape it is to be used is better than some other shape. I'd really think the biggest factor would be how safe from critters, pets, kids with knives, jealous wives, etc. in each location. I think that type of damage is more likely than creasing, distortion, deterioration or any other material related danger.

I've stored my stuff either in a garage or a barn for years and never had any problems but the recent rabbit thread has me wondering a bit and I'm always worried about what stupid decisions my kids will make.
Old 12-04-2014   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
303 it, talc it if you like, roll it tight and stick in an inconspicuous place. I usually tarp over, so do if inclined. Boat storage is easy. If you have room, partially inflated is good. If you don't, roll, tarp, store. Creases are a wives tale. PVC is more brittle cold, so don't drop it from 10 ft to ground if it is -12.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
PVC is more brittle cold, so don't drop it from 10 ft to ground if it is -12.
Because boat shards are no fun.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Creases are a wives tale. .
I'm afraid I don't agree with that. They are real and I've seen them. My friend has been folding and storing his Maravia Willy 2 for about 10 years, and over time he got leaks on the fold lines. Very evident wear to the floor fabric where he had it folded. I don't think creases are a problem in the short term, but prolonged folding can cause damage.

When I had a Maravia cataraft, I rolled the tubes and stored them in a boat bag in my shed. Now I have a Sotar raft, and it's too big to store in the shed. I'm storing it partially inflated on my trailer outside. My boat cover that stays on it all summer plus a heavier tarp, then a PVC A-frame that rests on the tubes, then another heavy duty tarp over the A-frame to shed snow. All tarps are secured with bungee straps. Hopefully this will provide enough protection over the winter.
Old 12-04-2014   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
No creases or any other issues regarding my Sotar...after 6 years now of deflating with an electric pump and storing in my garage. Though It doesn't get cold here in Orange County, California.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #7

south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Roll, don't fold

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #8

watertown, New York
Paddling Since: 2008
yeah here in northern ny it gets well below-15 at times in the winter I figured that it would be best to leave deflated and in the rare chance I can dona shuttle, and fish for the day I wouldn't have to worry as much about my tubes being brittle
steeldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
regardless of what you do, it's not rocket science... you will hear arguments from every angle here, so in the end do what works for you. Rolling, folding, inflated or deflated it's not going to make or break your boat's longevity. The sun is it's worst enemy and it sounds like you've got that covered, so to speak.
Old 12-05-2014   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet74 View Post
Roll, don't fold
I totally agree. I loose roll all my boats for winter storage. (hypalon) It's amaising how many friends fold their boats up like a tarp. They eventually get memory fold line in them. If I owned one of then there plastic boats.....I'd loose roll it too.
Hint: Don't always roll it from the same end.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote