storing rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2011   #1

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
storing rafts

I have been storing my rafts for years rolled up . I usually put baby or talkem power on and in the tubes before storing . Now I am hearing that this is not the way to store rafts . I do not have room to keep them bolwn up any advice would be helpful

ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011   #2

Summit County, and Idaho
We stored our NRS that way for years too. Every few months ( we didnt boat year round then) we would inflate it in the living room to prevent damage at the folds.
It was a really old boat and I dont know if that was the best procedure, but thats what we did. I am looking purchasing a new boat next month, and will be storing it in my sisters garage.
I would also like to know what is the best way to store them?
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
I'm sure your going to get alot of "store them slightly inflated in a cool dry basement" replies. But who has room to do that? The question I have is it ok to store them rolled up? I've been told that it is ok for Hypalon but not for PVC? Do creases that develop from storing a Hypalon boat rolled hurt them?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011   #4

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
rolled is fine. I have several boats in my program of various makes that have been stored rolled for up to 20 years and are all fine. The creases may show for a bit after the winter but some heat and a few trips fix it right up.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #5

Summit County, and Idaho
What about temperature? Living in Summit County in the winter the temps get down to neg 20's sometimes. Does that have an impact of the lifespan? If its rolled up and COLD?
Old 07-17-2011   #6

Summit County, and Idaho
I guess the previous post answered that!
Old 07-17-2011   #7

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I woudn't unroll them if it is below freezing, but you shouldn't really have a reason to.

For a PVC boat at 40 degress I can't roll it tight enough to get into the storage shelf. at 80 degrees it ross so it doesn't take up half.

Hypalon is significantly easier to roll when cold, but that isn't enough of a problem to make or break my decisions.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #8

Tabernash, Colorado
At the end of the season, get Simple Green and clean and wash thouroughly. Dry well. Patch then. 303 solution the boat - great for the material. Inflated storage is best, minimal rolls if you have to. Keep the boat warm, cold temps and moisture (snow manily) is horrible for PVC and hypalon. Love your raft like I love all of mine and you will have less wear and patching
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #9

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
thank you all for your tips it helps and this year I now have 6 rafts . So I will try the 303 and cleaning proceedure Thanks roxy
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
I've stored my Vanguard PVC rolled up for 2 winters and not had a problem. As mentioned above, there were some creases, but they went away after a few days inflated, everything seems fine. I don't know where I came across the info, but glued PVC seams are more flexible than welded PVC seams which apparently can micro fracture if rolled too tight (so the website says).
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote