Star rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2016   #1

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2012
Star rafts

Hi, who has experience with Star rafts in particular the 2010 Hurricane 14 foot. I have seen lots of old discussions regarding seam issues in the 90's but now I see that they welding the inside seam. Does anyone know when they started that or have experience with a newer model?

I cant find anything good bad or otherwise since 2008. Also I can't find any spec sheets for that year.

Any productive input is greatly appreciated!

I just wrote the company as well but am trying to figure out if I want to make an offer today....

Rbtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
PM "star inflatables" and ask him when their construction changed.

I dont have any experience with that particular raft.

I havent seen any seam failure issues with boats in the time frame you are referencing.
Old 02-14-2016   #3
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbtahoe View Post
Hi, who has experience with Star rafts in particular the 2010 Hurricane 14 foot. I have seen lots of old discussions regarding seam issues in the 90's but now I see that they welding the inside seam. Does anyone know when they started that or have experience with a newer model?

I cant find anything good bad or otherwise since 2008. Also I can't find any spec sheets for that year.

Any productive input is greatly appreciated!

I just wrote the company as well but am trying to figure out if I want to make an offer today....
I can give you some input, message me if you want. Keep in mind if you do the alibaba thing you are thinking about you will have to add 4-600 dollars for a one time customs clearance if you don't have a broker. And you generally will have to clear your product within a couple days or start paying 50 dollar a day storage. Unless you have a broker it is almost impossible to clear your shipment in a couple days. I have had people run that game before. In the end they don't save anything.

I know a rental place who has been renting star boats forever here and they seem to hold up
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016   #4

Reno, Nevada
Thanks GreenWall ya Alibaba is out! Really just seeking a good deal but also a good boat worthy of extended trips.
Old 02-14-2016   #5

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the PM rbtahoe. As I know it the heat welding of the inner seam tape began in 2006. Just a quick note to everyone out there reading along. The "heat weld is better" deal is a misnomer. Due to the epic glue failure of the 1990's many new PVC manufactures want to distance themselves from that issue. Truth is heat welding has it's own issues, delamination over time from inflation/deflation/folding on seams. Heat welding is much less labor intensive and therefore much less expensive. The glue issue has been fixed for a long time so the question comes down to craftsmanship, a seam is only as good as the person creating it; glued or heat welded. If you ever here someone refer to gluing as a chemical weld, just laugh because that's a joke- glue is glue.

Green Wall, thanks for mentioning River Dance in Merlin. Bob is happy with his Stars as well as The Galice Lodge.

I would never say a Star is the best boat out there, but a lot has changed recently which is why we have increased our warranty to 7 years and we pay shipping both ways for warranty claims.

Good luck and thanks for reading.
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I like how transparent honest and humble you are Star Inflatables, I'm not looking for a boat currently but your posts taking the time to explain your product and pvc boats in general is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #7

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
I've used a Star boat recently and was really impressed with the quality.
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #8

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks Zack. Your ATV proto is being made now in Yellow and Teal. Hope to have it to you in a month,can't wait to see what you think of it.
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #9

Reno, Nevada
Thank you for the detailed response and time Star Inflatables! I have talked with a couple repair shops and owners outside of Mountain Buzz and received great reviews on your boats! Thanks again.