Star rafts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Star rafts?

I just boated with some friends who have a star raft. And wow it was bomber built just wondering why they have such a bad rap? Any thoughts?

skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

carmen, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
Probably because the seams were glued and Star used some lousy glue on some of the older models. I have a 12 year old Wonderbug which is awesome. It handles like a cat and is very stable. If used as a paddle raft, however, it requires the use of thwarts. A friend has a smaller Star raft which he and his wife and 3 kids paddled on the MF a few years ago. They had a blast and the raft performed great.
nolichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Star has been rebranded by NRS outlaw boats. New Star boats are now just NRS' outlaw entry boat, nothing like old Star boats.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

What makes you say it was bomber built? I believe they are manufactured in China.
Johnzstz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnzstz View Post
What makes you say it was bomber built? I believe they are manufactured in China.

Surprised you didn't come straight out with a "communist Red" comment. You do realize half of if not more of what you consume in your life comes from China. China doesn't produce JUST crap. They also make some very high quality stuff. They still crank out some junk as well but to paint them with a single brush stroke would just be ignorant.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
I just boated with some friends who have a star raft. And wow it was bomber built just wondering why they have such a bad rap? Any thoughts?

What others are saying, NRS bought Star and has seemingly tidied up some of the loose ends that they previously had with quality etc. While they are no Italian sports car they are exactly what you pay for. I just picked up a 14' Kima and it is pretty nice. Overall quality construction, made in Vietnam(Not China) as another poster insinuated, fun shape and affordable. Two rafting partners also bought Star boats, a Wonder Bug(looks super fun) and a Slice. The slice looks fun but not quite as fun as my Phatcat.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
The slice looks fun but not quite as fun as my Phatcat.

How so?
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
[QUOTE=missiongravity;773057 China doesn't produce JUST crap. [/QUOTE]

in my 60 years on this planet, I would have to agree with you. China does not just produce crap.. 99% of what they produce IS crap, pure unadulterated crap. The other 1% doesn't make it to the USA...

Star boats have been garbage for many years, seams leaking, well you name it. It's amazing to me anyway that NRS kept the star name, I mean, what's the point ? I'm sure the quality got better, but ???
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I've had the same thought as the OP. I've been contemplating a boat purchase and as the wife wants something new and I can't pay 7k for a new 16 footer, and have concerns about the quaga mussel issue with Tributary, I've been looking at the NRS star and RMR (both with the drop stitch floor.) Anyone have direct comparison between these two welded PVC boats, since NRS acquired them? The NRS is 1,200 dollars cheaper, but I think RMR has the better reputation these days (I know they had quality issues with glue, etc). Does one use better PVC, have better construction, etc. I know there are some design differences. Let's call this an in-between boat for a guy that gets 10-15 river days and may make the jump to hypalon level one day, but I can't do it now.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by altaholics View Post
I've had the same thought as the OP. I've been contemplating a boat purchase and as the wife wants something new and I can't pay 7k for a new 16 footer, and have concerns about the quaga mussel issue with Tributary, I've been looking at the NRS star and RMR (both with the drop stitch floor.) Anyone have direct comparison between these two welded PVC boats, since NRS acquired them? The NRS is 1,200 dollars cheaper, but I think RMR has the better reputation these days (I know they had quality issues with glue, etc). Does one use better PVC, have better construction, etc. I know there are some design differences. Let's call this an in-between boat for a guy that gets 10-15 river days and may make the jump to hypalon level one day, but I can't do it now.
I have a buddy that is very happy with his 14' NRS Outlaw...which is essentially what the Star series is now. He's taken it down the Grand Canyon 3 times and a lot of other rivers including many Rogue trips and some Middle Fork and Main Salmon trips among others. I have another buddy that has one and is happy too and is always talking about "having a SUP built into the floor" since they are drop stitch. NRS seems to stand by their product too.

That said... I think personally would go with RMR if you are going new. Not sure weight difference but its not gonna be that much different. They are both PVC import boats...but I see a ton of RMR boats on the water and many happy customers. They are a bit on the heavy side and hard to roll tight...but are amazing boats for the price. The glue issues happened over a decade ago and are long in the past... as far as I know they are welded boats now. They definitely stand by their product too... I had a friend who's RMR got discolored on the top from sun and road spray...and they are replacing it with a brand new boat. They even sent her a demo boat to use (after some persuasion...don't expect that for every warranty claim) since their shipment got delayed due to all this COVID stuff and they didn't have the color she liked in stock.

As nice as a new boat is.... no shame in buying used to get into a nicer setup that you actually want. Hyside and NRS Hypalon boats come up used often enough that I would probably go that way if you can wait for the right deal. Plenty of reasonably priced full setups that will save you money over most new rafting setups. I know more then a few people that would rather have a 30 year old Avon then a brand new PVC import boat. I don't go that crazy (even though I currently own one of the 30 year old Avon's) but I do think there are substantial savings (and a whole lot of stress and anxiety over how to set a boat up) to be had by going with a used setup.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote