Star rafts? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Fresnope (Fresno), California
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
in my 60 years on this planet, I would have to agree with you. China does not just produce crap.. 99% of what they produce IS crap, pure unadulterated crap. The other 1% doesn't make it to the USA...
China builds excellent engines for BMW motorcycles (among other brands) and have for several years. It's 10-15 years past time to forget your preconceived notions about what comes from China!

KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipG View Post
China builds excellent engines for BMW motorcycles (among other brands) and have for several years. It's 10-15 years past time to forget your preconceived notions about what comes from China!
Agreed. The quality of manufacturing is completely down to who is designing, engineering and overseeing the process. China and many other nations that do mega factory type work like Taiwan, India, Thailand, Vietnam and others, are capable of world class manufacturing as long as whoever is overseeing the project makes it happen.

That said, with some exceptions, a lot of the stuff that Chinese companies design, engineer and oversee for themselves can be of majorly questionable quality... so you do have to be careful. There is obvious a certain amount of intellectual property theft for products designed and engineered outside of China but manufactured there... so you do have to be careful.

For RMR, Aire Tributary, Star and others... they seem to do a good job, at least in the last 5-10 years, of ensuring good products are recieved.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
i love the Bug series, but one issue i see with Star (and Saturn) conventional raft design is the insert floor... on a muddy San Juan trip my buddy's 14' Saturn weighed so much from silt that settled in the floor that we had to remove the insert floor and shovel the floor clean... RMR is welded and floors are attached to the tubes and wrapped high enough for really great tracking. (IMHO, floors that are set low on the tubes give you more interior space, but don't track well)
Unca Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I had forgotten that the Outlaw has a floating drop stitch floor. I run mostly silty rivers like the green, Colorado, San Juan, so I think that helps make the decision for me. That also helps explain the cost difference.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by altaholics View Post
I've had the same thought as the OP. I've been contemplating a boat purchase and as the wife wants something new and I can't pay 7k for a new 16 footer, and have concerns about the quaga mussel issue with Tributary, I've been looking at the NRS star and RMR (both with the drop stitch floor.) Anyone have direct comparison between these two welded PVC boats, since NRS acquired them? The NRS is 1,200 dollars cheaper, but I think RMR has the better reputation these days (I know they had quality issues with glue, etc). Does one use better PVC, have better construction, etc. I know there are some design differences. Let's call this an in-between boat for a guy that gets 10-15 river days and may make the jump to hypalon level one day, but I can't do it now.

I have both a Star Kima 14' and a RMR Phatcat. Both great boats. The Star I got two weeks ago and set up for Lochsa season and other big water runs. I think it will be great for stuff like that as well as medium weight load multi-day trips. The PhatCat is all around more fun hands down! It creeks, it plays, it rows big water, it R1 or R2s big water and it even handles a pretty substantial load with a frame. I took it for a week down the Selway and it did awesome.

As for build quality, I would say they are more or less dead nuts even in quality. I have a first generation Phatcat before they added the extra D-Rings and I would say I have nearly 100 days on it already if not more in the three years I have owned it. It has also seen a fair bit of trailering as well as sun exposure sitting on the trailer in the yard. I would say it is handling it really pretty well.

I think you will find it just about even when it comes to construction quality of either boat. My Star was made in Vietnam if that is of any concern to you. Pretty sure my RMR was made in China(not that it matters).

I just sold a raft with a drop stitch floor and I can tell you that you will be happy with a drop stitch floor as long as it is an integral part of the boat and not a slide in floor. They are amazing, they track well, are stiff and easy to walk on and frankly I think the look nicer and cleaner.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Ridgway, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo003 View Post
The slice looks fun but not quite as fun as my Phatcat.

How so?
I'll bite.

The built-in spray skirts pretty much kill it's ability to haul gear with a row frame. Same issue with the Hyside.

Smaller 20" vs. 23" tubes= less flotation for the gear that you can't haul anyway.

For spicy R2 it looks awesome.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I'll just say this I am happy with my Outlaws 14' NRS raft, and 2 of the star duckies. They are all stored inflated and do not leak any air at all. The raft is 4 years old and I've had zero problems. That said it seems to be more vulnerable to scuffs than the RMR PVC.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Salt Lake City, Utah
Really happy with my Kima 14.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote