Star missing baffle - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-04-2015   #1

Durango, Colorado
Star missing baffle

Has anyone ever heard of a Star boat missing a baffle? I bought my used last year, great deal! Yesterday it came apart at a seem and much to my surprise there was no baffle, and no evidence of a repair when it could have possibly been removed? Any experience with this?

Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have never heard of this before, but I'm curious. Just to be sure, you have two valves with no baffle at all between them? How did you fail to notice this before? Didn't the air that you blew into one valve just go right out the other valve? Seems like a pretty big oversight by the Star factory and by their QC people in the US.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #3

Durango, Colorado
Ok maybe a little more info, but really not much... Bought the boat last year... Made be Star in 2001.. All has been great! Yes it has hot yes it was the day before my birthday... And yes there was a hole in one of the seems and when I looked in no baffle! Over sight? Well not sure? But no sight of baffle, not blaming Star, or anyone for that matter, gratful to know now the situation, especially at home, not on river (I think that is the present)!! Just wondering WTF? And feeling lucky that it has never been a problem on the river! But now what? Yes get baffle!! How do I put in? Lots of lessons I think any help is welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015   #4

Durango, Colorado
oh yea I have four valves and i think three baffles, well I must! just seem to be missing in bay (lack of terminology) one baffle. why never shown itself!?! Good design I think and lots of good luck?!? Help!!!
Old 07-05-2015   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Assuming at some time you have inflated the boat from empty, it would have showed itself during inflation. 4 valves = 4 chambers, you definitely should have noticed only needing 3 valves to fully inflate.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #6

Durango, Colorado
I could have filled the whole boat from the valve with no baffle, but not the other way around! I think this was a dumb question! And I will ask better questions as I learn more! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
Lots of lessons I think any help is welcome!
Hi

Yes lesson to be learned

1.....you get what you pay for.....Stars are inexpensive boats to begin with.....They are know as an entery level or price point boats.....they are not know for making high quality, long lasting boats like hyside, sotar, avon ect...

2....the repair that boat needs is likely beyond your skill level, and needs to professionally done....Unfortunately the cost of the repair will likly exceed the value of your boat.

3.....looks to me like its time for a new boat....you got the boat cheap...had some fun....now the boat is now junk....If you really enjoy this sport, buy a used boat from a top manufacturer.....there is a reason a new star cost what a used hyside goes for.

Good luck

scott
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
I could have filled the whole boat from the valve with no baffle, but not the other way around! I think this was a dumb question! And I will ask better questions as I learn more! Thanks!
If you can fill the boat from only one valve.......you have more problems with your baffles than having one missing. I hate to say it......but you now own an inner tube with a floor. Be careful where you float that boat.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
At this point, I don't really know what you are talking about. If you are missing a baffle, then you have two valves with "no baffle." What exactly is "the other way around?"

I guess it doesn't really matter. If you have a Star with a blown seam and baffle problems, it is probably junk.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #10

Durango, Colorado
Only junk I have is the responses to this thread!