Star Inflatable 14' - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2018   #1

Beckley, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2012
Star Inflatable 14'

I'm new member but have viewed posts on here for years, very helpful. I've been looking at buying another raft after parting ways with my old Riken. Was gonna go the RMR route but recently found a good looking Star with fishing frame already installed for just over $2000, is this good deal? I haven't found a lot of info online regarding Star and there website isn't very helpful. Owner said its 2009 model but I'm not sure which style it is, I'm thinking is a Bug cause center is raised so rides like a cat. also floor isn't inflatable and I'm curious if this is a positive or not, it does look nice. Any thoughts or shared experiences appreciated!!

Newsmallies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My first boat when I was a teenager was a 13ft Star. It was a good boat for me, they're certainly considered lower rung amongst the boater elite but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Let people know where and how you're going to use it, the type of water etc. Not having an inflatable floor makes standing on it while fishing suck (my Star was a bucket boat as well) but doable. I used mine as a weekend warrior drunken fishing craft with friends, nothing with big rapids or overnights. Never had an issue with mine and it really got me into the game and was an enjoyable chapter of my boat ownership career.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018   #3

Beckley, West Virginia
Iíd be using strictly for fishing out of, nothing more than a few class 3s here and there. Upper and middle New River and Greenbrier Rivers, family trips mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Is the frame and all the fixin's worth at least $1600 to $1800 to you? I wouldn't give more than about $400 for a bail bucket Star. 9 years to me means it's past it's half life. Just a few thoughts.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018   #5

Beckley, West Virginia
Thatís a good point, no frame and set up arenít worth 1800. I was more curious about particular style of craft, itís sort of hybrid cat/raft and was wanting pos/neg on that. Currently I use either a one man scadden or fish cat pontoon and like how they handle.
Old 01-07-2018   #6

Beckley, West Virginia
The Star I was considering is self bailing, it just doesnít have inflatable floor
Old 01-07-2018   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Be patient, allot of boats come up for sale every March. I'd start looking for the right boat next month.
Old 01-07-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsmallies View Post
The Star I was considering is self bailing, it just doesnít have inflatable floor
How does that work? Anyone care to share, I thought the only way to self bail was to have a raised floor? And I thought air was the way, but I am far from knowing lots about rafts. Still learning
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018   #9

Ridgway, Colorado
The Star rafts have a pretty unique design.
Tubes are really large dia. The floor is not inflatable, just a sheet of PVC with holes in it to drain the water; self bailer.
I believe that the idea is that the big tubes have enough volume to float the floor above the water, for the most part.
Shape of an SB, floats like a cat. I have no idea if this actually has any practical merits, nor do I have a dog in the fight. I do like people thinking outside the box.
My RMR Phatcat is sorta, kinda similar and rocks like AC/DC.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018   #10

Blanchard Twp, Maine
These boats, the bug, wonderbug, superbug(?) are fantastic rowing machines. Half cat, half raft; they area performance high water day-tripping machine with a solo row frame or small paddle crew here in maine, and pretty sought after by people that want the manners but aren't scared of some repair and upkeep.

As far as a family fishing rig however, I can't think of a worse rig to be running.
Creekyphil is offline   Reply With Quote