Stansport Tuff Stove Regulator Replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2017   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Stansport Tuff Stove Regulator Replacement

I want a Partner. I keep saying I'll get a Partner. I will get a Partner. However, right now I need to get this beast up and running for this weekend. Here's a thread I started elsewhere but it occurred to me someone on here might have more firsthand knowledge to impart. Basically I just need to know if adding a reducing bushing between the regulator outlet and hose fitting will cause any problems. Of course the only answer is from someone who didn't bother to read the entire post. Sigh. Propane Regulator Outlet Size Reduction Page: 1 - iboats Boating Forums | 10504813

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017   #2

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have two stansport four burner stoves. One stove had the same problem you described. No, you should not have a problem. Now, here is the reasoning, the propane tank has a hi-flow shut-off valve insider for safety reasons, say you cut the gas hose the gas will keep flowing out but the safety valve shut off, prevents this from happening. The regulator, is just what it's name implies, it regulates the propane flow, they fail over time eather in full open causing the tank shut off valve to take over or in the almost closed position, which cause the same out come, no propane to burners. It is a balancing act between propane bottle shut-off valve and regulator to keep burners going. I changed the regulator on mine also. I had an old propane bottle without the shut-off valve installed and tried it on my stove, you talk about running like a raped ape. You turn the burners up to high and a flame like you would not believe.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I have two stansport four burner stoves. One stove had the same problem you described. No, you should not have a problem. Now, here is the reasoning, the propane tank has a hi-flow shut-off valve insider for safety reasons, say you cut the gas hose the gas will keep flowing out but the safety valve shut off, prevents this from happening. The regulator, is just what it's name implies, it regulates the propane flow, they fail over time eather in full open causing the tank shut off valve to take over or in the almost closed position, which cause the same out come, no propane to burners. It is a balancing act between propane bottle shut-off valve and regulator to keep burners going. I changed the regulator on mine also. I had an old propane bottle without the shut-off valve installed and tried it on my stove, you talk about running like a raped ape. You turn the burners up to high and a flame like you would not believe.
Your just making the hose fit the new regulator by adding the reducer to join the difference in size between the hose and regulater, that should not effect the performance of your stove. I probably did not make that point clear in my first posting.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017   #4

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks Raymo! Didn't think it'd cause any problems so I proceeded last night. Not only is the issue resolved, the new regulator screws into the tank valve much more easily and as you said increased the flow considerably. Sounds like a jet engine now. Bonus!
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Let me suggest an hp adjustable regulator such as the ones on roofing asphalt pots. They are about $45 and cover up to 250 k btu per hour. These will work for 5 psi or 60 psi infinitely variable between. So with that in mind, you can have a small quaint little burner stove or melt beer cans in a blizzard. Because you can.
Old 11-01-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've lost flow to the burners a few times. In each case replacing the small o-ring did the job.
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote