Stabond adhesive and temperature - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-02-2017   #1

Wichita, Kansas
Stabond adhesive and temperature

I have an inflatable boat made of a PVC coated fabric and it has oar mounts that appear to be an ABS plastic. I am going to re-glue the oar mounts using Stabond UK-148 adhesive. I have read recommendations to use a heat gun to reactivate the adhesive on both pieces after the 2nd coat has dried (not tacky), then stick them together. NRS does not mention use of heat in their gluing instructions. I will be working in my garage but with the cold weather, is there a working and drying temperature range that I need to work within?

flyfishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017   #2

Shaver Lake, California
You might give Aire or Maravia a call
DaveScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I wouldn't do any gluing in low temperatures. 60 degrees F is about as low as I would go. I've never heard of using heat to reactivate the glue. I've used toluene before to do that. I do use a heat gun to heat on whatever I'm sticking together, to get a good chemical reaction out of the glue. Be careful......don't get things too hot. Good luck.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017   #4

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I wouldn't do any gluing in low temperatures. 60 degrees F is about as low as I would go. I've never heard of using heat to reactivate the glue. I've used toluene before to do that. I do use a heat gun to heat on whatever I'm sticking together, to get a good chemical reaction out of the glue. Be careful......don't get things too hot. Good luck.
Heat reactivation works great on urethane glues like stabond, but I'm not sure if the op can get the heat to transfer through the plastic oar locks that he is talking about gluing on. Either way, tolulene would not be the appropriate solvent to reactivate stabond. If he chooses the solvent approach, he will need MEK. Tolulene, on the other hand is the solvent to use with shore adhesive and other hypalon contact cement.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017   #5

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Oar mounts on the inflatable itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote