Spare oar or oars? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2017   #1

Tucson, tucson
Spare oar or oars?

I am putting together my first oar rig. I want to know what people do for spare oar? 1 or 2?
I just got my oars, I have two awesome Cataract oars and then I got two Carlisle oars for back up. But now after seeing them I feel like i want to send them back for all Cataract oars.
Any pointers would be great.

sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017   #2

cedar city, Utah
I prefer to run two spare oars when I can. I would prefer two spare cataract oars but its hard to justify the cost for an item that just hangs off the side of the boat most years. You could always rotate them out so they are all getting used.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #3

Tucson, tucson
I wondered about that too. I imagine they won't really get used.. Well hopefully anyway.
sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
I like to use two spares as well,as far as the Carlisle if you break or loose one of your cataract oars at the beginning of a long trip are you good using the carlisles for the rest of the trip. Personally I think the price is worth it for two sets of the same.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #5

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1968
NPS requires 2 spare oars on the Colorado through the Grand Canyon if you plan to do it.
DonPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
I like having 2 nice sets, I usually run 9's on my 14' raft and two 9'6"s for spares. On big water I'll switch that up. Another plus, having a spare on each side makes a nice place to set the oars I'm using out of the water when I'm just floating and not rowing. I've broke an oar at the top of a rapid before and having two different length oars for a short time was no big deal.
Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Another plus, having a spare on each side makes a nice place to set the oars I'm using out of the water when I'm just floating and not rowing.
Amen to that ^^^.

I also like having 2 for the simple reason that I may need them both! Breaking 2 oars on a trip isn't common, but it's not unheard of either. That, and the fact that it's not like having another box or bag onboard- it's basically completely out of the way.

As to the quality- get what you can afford. Cataracts are definitely nicer and more expensive, but Carlisle oars aren't terrible oars either. I used them for a lot of years. They don't require ANY maintenance, whereas Cataracts do need refinished from time to time to avoid fiberglass splinters. It's another hundred bucks or so to get cats over carlisles, so do you want to spend that on oars, or straps, or dryboxes, or beer. . .you get the idea.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
I put together a rig last fall with three Carlisles assuming that at some point I'd buy a pair of Cataracts and sell one Carlisle shaft for a few bucks. I found a sale price on the Carlisles and it was a good way to economize in getting started. At this point I'm running class three and not losing oars, so having only one spare isn't a problem at this point. I don't think I'll mind having a pair of cheaper oars as the backup pair in the future.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #9

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Kinda Like insurance, how good is your coverage, depends on the premium paid. Personally nothing destroys gear more then being in the sun and I just can't bring myself to drop $300 a piece for two spares, spare being the key word. That's like needing an extra stove, an extra helmet, an extra tent, just in case. I get it, it's just up to you if you want to spend the money on something that if your doing it right, you won't need.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lots of good advice so far.
I run a set of 9' Carlisles with 1' extensions as spares for my 10'. This has come in handy before on the Rogue, where 10' foot of oar was just to much for Mule Canyon, I ended up dropping my extensions and running the shorter sticks, worked out great for me. Getting spares a foot shorter and adding extensions gives you options.

I really like having a set of spares, some permits require it, and many trips it's a good idea.
Having a spare tower and pin+stirrup/ oar lock, is worthwhile on any trip where you cannot hitch hike, or barge up with your friend to the take out.