Sotar welded d-ring leaks - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-02-2015   #1

Seattle, Washington
Sotar welded d-ring leaks

I've had enough Sotars to know this is just a thing that comes with these boats. But does anyone have a good solution for sealing them?

In my case, a 14 raft has 3 thwarts -- that's 24 welded 6" d-rings, and every single one leaks around the edge of the dring.

Will liquid lex be up to the job? thinned aquaseal?

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015   #2

Boise, Idaho
They leak air from the edge of the d rings?
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #3

Seattle, Washington
They do. all 24, though the ones on top are worse than those down by the floor.

This is true on my welded sotar IKs, too. The welded d-rings for the seat leak, and the welded d-rings in the stern for holding gear leak.

On the raft floor, even the footcups leak around the edges!

Sotar will remove and re-weld d-rings in, but I think the problem is that the weld is so bomber the force on the d-rings results in small scale delam under the d-ring, which is what leads to the leaks.

at least, that's my theory.

So I'm debating the best way to seal the edges of the d rings. overlay a large patch of tear aid? aquaseal the edges? liquid lex?

Anyone ever dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I glue a donut over them. I assume it works since I havent had any of them come back to the shop. Hopefully someone I've done this for will reply. I ask them to let me know how its working but I never hear back. I assume that is a good thing.
Old 03-02-2015   #5

Boise, Idaho
So all of the items utilizing "patches" (d rings, foot cups, etc) leak? Are said components welded onto the outside of the boat, or are they part of the structure of the boat itself? I guess I don't understand how they are all leaking so readily...if the boat itself is delaminating that is a major bummer
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #6

Seattle, Washington
Zbaird -- 1" thick donut enough? I'd love to buy 24 red donuts from ya rather than try to hand cut them! how thick material do you use?

Rafterman: My experience with sotars is the 6" welded d-rings are just too small a contact area, they all leak if any load is placed on those d-rings.

All the seams on the boat are fine, save a small leak in the bow that looks like it came from the factory. All the large carry handle d-rings and frame strap drings are fine.

There is no delamination. There are no patches on the boat. There are some small areas of pinhole leaks on the floor where the thwarts rub. Also small leaks along the floor seam tape.

but those 24 6" welded d-rings all leak.
Old 03-02-2015   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
...so the force on the small patch creates an air leak in the tube on which the patch is welded? and the air passes out through the edge of the patch?
Am I getting that right?
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #8

Seattle, Washington
Correct. The tube loses air through a d-ring welded on the tube. Seems crazy right? no force needed, I can blow up an unrigged boat and soap the small round d-rings and see many leaks.

all my sotars do it.

Zbaird points out the small d-rings are closer to 4" than 6" .... no doubt part of the problem.

zbaird -- thanks for the PM. I think I can handcut thin PVC ok -- great suggestion for material.
Old 03-02-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
I hope someone from Sotar jumps in on this thread cause what I'm hearing is unfathomable from any quality control standpoint.
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #10

Seattle, Washington
I am curious too if Sotar has recommended action for this. I do not consider this a failing of Sotar, though I know some folks who do.

I would prefer glued d-rings that would fail at the glue layer rather than leak, but that is not something sotar will do. If they must be welded, it does seem they need to be bigger d-ring patches.

This is an issue only with the very small welded round d rings, and only if they've really been loaded forcefully.

I consider it basic maintenance.

I'm glad zbaird has experienced this cuz it's not in my head! If anyone else soaps their thwart d rings, I'd be very curious to hear what you find.