Sotar Legend vs Aire Wave Destroyer - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2015   #1

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Sotar Legend vs Aire Wave Destroyer

I'm looking to add a 13-14' Cat to my fleet. I'm looking at the Sotar Legend and Aire Wave Destroyer. I have not had a chance to row either one, but I have used an Aire Ocelot.

I'm looking to use it as a single person play boat by myself, a two person day tripper with my wife and a single person with one cooler/drybox for my wife to use on multi day trips in the NW while I row our 14' raft.

My wife is not an experienced rower, so I'm looking a little more for durability and the ability to recover from some newbie mistakes.

I'm planning on building my own steel frame with 36" between the tubes.

What are the pros and cons of the Aire and Sotar? I'm giving the Aire an advantage for ease of repair on a river and maybe a bit more durability.

If any of you have rowed both with a similar frame set up between them, I'd love to hear your comments and opinions.

athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015   #2

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...yer-35186.html

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...end-34349.html
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
UR like 3+ hours from any water? I think you would do just fine with an inter tube on the spokie. What are you planning on floating that would dictate a WD over the Ocelot?? Bowl and Pitcher?
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015   #4

Newman Lake, Washington
Thanks Mattchu, I already read those posts and they are 4-5 years old. I was just looking for some newer perspectives.
Old 11-24-2015   #5

Newman Lake, Washington
Dirtbag, you didn't even need a tube for the Spokane this year.
Old 11-24-2015   #6

Bazzaro, Free
I actually floated the upper and lower spokie runs this summer. The legend vs WD... ?? at the end of the day both rock. I like the Aire boats simply because I can carry an extra bladder and you can make bomber repairs on the river. Plus the aire factory is closer to me so getting the boat to a certified repair center is much easier for me than Sotar in Oregon. If you float alot of silty muddy water, the aire needs a little extra attention in the cleaning process. If you get a Sotar spent the extra $ for extra material for the frame. Next
Old 11-24-2015   #7

Nye, Montana
I've been researching the same thing. It appears that the legend might work better in my instance, because I'd like the option to do overnighters.

I had a cheesy 9' skeeter and everyone wanted to use the skeeter. I took it through a class iii+ and broke frame in half. Got it welded together and took it down the lower rogue along with my Raft and broke it in half again. Small cats are a blast. It'd be really fun to have an 11' legend or 12' destroyer, but that would limit most to day trips and no passengers.
Old 11-24-2015   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
I've been researching the same thing. It appears that the legend might work better in my instance, because I'd like the option to do overnighters.
Of course a Legend will work for over nighters. But the tube design really is not for loading down the boat with gear. The whole idea of the WD or Legend is for hard class 4+ and up turn on a dime solo river running and flip it up right as easy as possible. In reality long less rockered boats like the Ocelot are more forgiving when loading them and they rip it most river conditions. Unless your dropping low volume step rivers, you will not have any real reason to buy a WD or Legend. Most ppl only think they want a legend or WD when 99% of the time a std cat will serve their purpose better. I believe that this is the case here. Don't get sucked into hype! Just get on a mid sized class 3+ pool drop river on a windy afternoon in a big tube high rocker spiny short cat boat. you'll be hating on life. Just saying.....

I've said this before. Buying a WD or Legend for less then hair conditions is just like buying a full blown down hill mountain bike and never leaving the paved road. Its good exercise but not really practical.
Old 11-24-2015   #9

Nye, Montana
Option....to do overnighters.

Looking at that 12'x19" St cat for sale on here. Would be fun. Not sure about single chambers though plus I'm big so maybe not. Might be good for you athelake.

Personally this coming summer I'm stepping up to more class iv and maybe some v.
Old 11-24-2015   #10

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
Option....to do overnighters.

Looking at that 12'x19" St cat for sale on here. Would be fun. Not sure about single chambers though plus I'm big so maybe not. Might be good for you athelake.

Personally this coming summer I'm stepping up to more class iv and maybe some v.

OK, is this thread now turning into a joke? If so I'll leave you to yours. But seriously. If your thinking over night stuff a 12.5' sotar is about as small as you would want to go. 12x19 would be a bad idea over the long run. 14' x 22" is really still on the small side. If you want the 12' you need to make due with a round boat. And still be running backpacker style

Tags
aire