SOTAR - Drop Stitch or I-Beam Floor? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2014   #1

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
SOTAR - Drop Stitch or I-Beam Floor?

Love the Maravia D.S. floor and the I-Beam SOTAR is alright too - been hearing some negative press on the SOTAR D.S. though (made overseas, PVC, not as durable as Maravia, etc...) Any D.S. SOTAR owners out there? Pros/Cons please and thank you!

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014   #2

TV, Idaho
I'd love to know more as well. I'm looking at Sotar's right now.

I've read speculation that the DS from Maravia and Sotar are actually made by the same outfit, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #3

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
I'd love to know more as well. I'm looking at Sotar's right now.

I've read speculation that the DS from Maravia and Sotar are actually made by the same outfit, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.
I've heard that too, but neither rep I've spoken with will confirm. If it's true, then there should be no issues with the SOTAR floor.
middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014   #4

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
If the floors are made at the same place, then they are not made on the same machine because the seem welding on maravia and sotar floor have different patterns at the welds. DS technology is improving. I prefer DS over I-Beam. That's just preference.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I have a Sotar with an I-beam floor, works great tracking and is stiff enough to stand up on and stay dry.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I debated when I ordered mine. My rafting buddy has Maravia and loves the DS floor. Two things that Sotar told me was that the DS floor added about 10 lb. to the weight of the boat, and that they only have DS floors for full/standard raft sizes (like 14 ft. not 14.6 ft.). My friend thinks that the DS floor aides in maneuvering. I figured that since the design of the SL is supposed to be very maneuverable, then maybe a floor that's supposed to aide in tracking might be a good combo. Plus, a lot of Sotar owners have said that their I-Beam floors are plenty stiff for standing. We shall see?
Old 01-10-2014   #7
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm heavy (295 this morning) and am happy with my I-beam floor for stiffness. I think the I-beam floor would be more serviceable should a repair be needed. (Either physical damage or failure) I run a frame on my boat 75% of the time, if I was ordering my raft new today I'd be getting some frame chafe protection, and at least some bottom of the tube protection along the waterline only. Mine was optioned with neither, and now I wish it was.
I'm going to have my frame powdercoated in the next few months also, since the aluminum is leaving dark marks on my yellow raft. I'm not sure what protection I'd get for a chafe, I like that rough stuff, but I wouldn't want to paddle on it.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #8

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
I hope Maravia changed their DS floor design, bc wow, its sucks for durability. that fold on the curve up to the pointy bits really hammers itself to death and slow leaks and so on....
Old 01-11-2014   #9

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingk View Post
I hope Maravia changed their DS floor design, bc wow, its sucks for durability. that fold on the curve up to the pointy bits really hammers itself to death and slow leaks and so on....
I thought Maravia now manufactures their DS Floors with an extra layer of fabric around that sharp bend that fixed this problem on their modern boats?
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #10

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
I thought Maravia now manufactures their DS Floors with an extra layer of fabric around that sharp bend that fixed this problem on their modern boats?
Maybe, still looks like its doing the same thing, just a bandaid imo. The worst part is the lace in eyelets are different on every single boat so if you have a problem you have to send the the floor to them to have it replicated. everybody else just sends you a new one for your model raft.