Sotar Catarafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2013   #1

Lewiston, Idaho
Sotar Catarafts

Hello all,

I am getting ready to purchase a 16' Sotar Cat. I'm torn on whether or not to have a bottom wrap put on my tubes, and if so, whether or not to go with the Liquid Lex or the Flex Tuff. Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with this issue????

Thanks!

instkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013   #2
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I was just pondering the fall sale myself last week, I am getting a smaller boat but I do have first hand experience with their bottom protectants. First of all if you are looking to do fishing I think there are better options out there for bottom protection, Maravia, Canyon.

The flextuff or liquid lex Sotar puts on their tubes is put on so thin it basically wears through very quickly and it is expensive. I will give you some back ground.

I just ordered my frame from Canyon Whitewater Inflatables in Oregon and it was my intention to pick up a set of legends on the sale from Sotar in Oregon. One point of interest is Sotar stated to me their fabric is 3000 denier Urethane, this I believe is completely untrue it is 1500 denier so best I can figure is the are misleading people by doubling the fabric weight by counting the seam lap or chafe. We all know these crafts have held up well so why misrepresent this fabric weight to customers

I asked Sotar if they sold Canyon frames as they carry multiple brands to see if there was a floor model already built because of Canyons wait time, at that point things were not as friendly anymore when I was purchasing my frame somewhere else. This led to freight charges on both pieces as I can't expect the tube manufacturer or the frame builder to go pick the other up and bundle them for shipping.

SO back to your original question. I didn't get the Sotar's because I got a package deal on the other boat and saved shipping, Canyon is spraying urethane on the top chafe and bottom(not rolling it on thin as Sotar), it is probably 4 times as thick as the liquid lex I had on my old Sotar 14 foot cat and they can mix colors,

Here is a photo of the Canyon bottom covering that was emailed to me. I am having Canyon build my tubes in the 40oz urethane and I had all the same color choices I was looking for and seam tape color choices as well but believe I will greatly benefit from the thicker bottom urethane chafer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	urethane-green -.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	7214
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #3

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
Yup, I have a 15ft elite sl and the liquid lex is just peeling off. But absolutely love the weird taper design. I think the best option would be to glue a whole 'nother strip on.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013   #4

Selma, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1962
Flex Tuff

The Liquid Lex is a light weight addtion for those who want light weight. The Flex tuff is super tuff and easy to roll. If you want the strongest go with the double fabric. It is unfair to compare SOTAR liquid lex to Cascade Flex Tuff. Flex tuff is much thicker. Ask for a sample and see for yourself.
mocemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #5

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Have had both of these applications over the years.....

If I wanted extra durability- FlexTuff, holds up well,easily accomplished.

Lots of durability,ready for abuse.... Another layer of material.

$.02. Hope that answers your question
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #6

Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Riverbound are you writing an advertisement for Canyon or do you just work for them? After working directly with Sotar to customize my boat I have a real hard time believing they would lie to you about their fabric.

Instkevin I just bought a Sotar and can tell you first hand that the Flex tough is very thick and bomber too. It's pretty grippy so I wouldn't want it on the bottom of my tubes. Go for an additional layer of fabric and have Sotar put the slick side out.
ciggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I don't typically recommend bottom wraps to my customers. The material itself is extremely durable without any additional protection. Personally, I'd save the money and see how much wear and tear you have on the bottom after a few years of use. If there's excessive wear, then have the chafe or wrap added at that point. You may realize you don't need it anyway and you can spend that money on other boating items. The only time I recommend it is if you know you'll be doing a ton of low water rivers where you'll be dragging your boat a lot of the time. If you do choose a bottom wrap, I'd recommend the Flex Tuff. The Liquid Lex is a thinner coating while the Liquid Lex is much thicker and tough as nails. It's definitely not fair to compare Liquid Lex to Flex Tuff!
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #8

URANUS, California
I would just get an aire and stop worrying...
riverballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #9

Groveland, California
I have scraped, dragged and slid my Sotar all over the place and it looks almost like new on the bottom. Urethane has extremely high wet abrasion characteristics. It is slick when wet and slides right over rocks, I think you would lose that if you put some sort of coating on the bottom. The idea of spraying urethane over PVC is to get the benefits of the material Sotars are made of to start with.

I have no affiliation with Sotar, I just think they are a great company to deal with and produce high-quality MADE IN USA boats.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #10
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy View Post
Riverbound are you writing an advertisement for Canyon or do you just work for them? After working directly with Sotar to customize my boat I have a real hard time believing they would lie to you about their fabric.

Instkevin I just bought a Sotar and can tell you first hand that the Flex tough is very thick and bomber too. It's pretty grippy so I wouldn't want it on the bottom of my tubes. Go for an additional layer of fabric and have Sotar put the slick side out.
While I haven't been registered here that long I have gained information and read through posts for over a year now. I still find it amusing that every time someone buys a Canyon product and mentions it or one of the benefits there is someone that asks if they work for them, it would become quite apparent the volume of product they are putting into the boating industry that people are going to talk about the product, I am waiting 5 months for my boat, 61 boats ahead of me but it is what I want.
We have a Sotar thread pop up every 2 days that gets no gripe and I like reading them. But if we went with your thinking we would still be driving model Ford A's because oh wait
" someone already made a car there will never be a better one now" this gets quite old, I think its time to grow up.

If you missed it I ran a Sotar cat for a long time it was a 14 ST and I had a lot of great trips with that boat with zero problems. I purchased the Canyon frame because no one builds a frame as nice as theirs, I purchased the tubes from them because the logistics were good and they are building with the same fabric as Sotar , the warranty is 10 years with the same heat welded construction. This is an apples to apples thing that made sense to me. I know you are probably the all knowing because you just bought a Sotar but guess what you own 1500 denier fabric. I have the proof as I asked for a spec sheet on the fabric when I ordered mine to make sure the Canyon fabric was up to the Sotar quality- it is the same fabric. If you would like to PM me I would be happy to provide you with the info and then you can be irritated with someone else and not me.

The one thing I have noticed about this forum is DRL jumps right in advertising on every Sotar post, I don't see his name on the buzz supporters list, it must be ok because he is dealing Sotar ?? but wait they aren't supporters either.

I originally came across Canyon products reading through posts on the buzz and look, I bought a boat. I called manufacturers and did my own thinking and homework,is it possible my 10 year warranty might not be good in 10 years, maybe. It also may be possible they may be the top game in town in the next couple years time will tell.

Yes flex tuff is sticky on the rocks, the sprayed urethane is more slick and doesn't look like it will hang near as bad from the sample I got. I have multiple friends with Sotar tubes and they all wish they would have gotten the chafes on the bottom, most have gashes down to the fabric in them, they still hold air,I have never seen one cut open or sliced FYI. One thing you will notice is once you add chafes to the Sotar you are in a whole different price range, that weighed in on my decision also.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft