solo stove bonfire ring - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2017   #1
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
solo stove bonfire ring

would this meet firepan requirements? it looks like the coals are in a pan off of the ground.

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
My advice is to check the requirements for the river you plan to float and get their requirements.

My opinion, looking at the URL, the price they quote is in line with fire pans that are pretty much universally accepted. Check the major outfitters that sell online.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
It looks inconvenient for rigging purposes, at least fire pans are somewhat collapsible. That said, I think I've read trip reports of folks who have just used a turkey pan for ultralight style packing.
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017   #4

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Different rivers have different requirements, but I have use a metal baking pan and it meets the standard for most I have read about. It's 13" 17" with 3" sides. I drilled a hole in each corner and use 4" bolts for legs if it is required to be raised.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #5

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
In my little tangent I didn't answer the question but my guess is, most likely it would for most places. It looks like it will contain the ash and is durable enough but just seems like overkill. I have been around a few fires in an old washing machine drum which is around the same size and shape but has holes all up an down the side. They are nice if you are burning a bunch of wood and have a big hot fire but you lose most of the light and don't get much heat from a smaller fire. The tall sides just block the light and send the heat more upwards, great when you stand next to it but not so much with 4 or 5 people sitting around it. I would definitely avoid that thing unless you think you might you might use it at home after you get sick of cleaning it on the river and trying to find a good spot to rig it on your boat.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
It might, but I'm guessing it is heavier, bulkier, messier, and more expensive than the disposable aluminum turkey roasting pans available at the grocery store and legal at least on the ID rivers.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #7

I use an old metal oil pan that is 24" in diameter and 8" deep on top of a welders blanket and it's been going for years. My blanket shovel and grill all nest inside.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I will admit to having purchased this thing on kickstarter back in the winter.

It was expensive even then, but it really is a sweet fire pit.

The magic to it is that it is essentially a catalytic converter, and you don't get smoked out.

It says you can place it directly on wooden deck, so in a fire hazard sense it should be good, but it is not actually 3" off the ground which many agencies stipulate. I'd figure out what you're going to place under, like some 3" sections of frame tubing to be sure. It is bulky and has no tie down points. I am not sure it will ever come on the raft, but it could be loaded with fire wood on the front end and carry trash out on the back end, so the space wouldn't be wasted.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I will admit to having purchased this thing on kickstarter back in the winter.

It was expensive even then, but it really is a sweet fire pit.

The magic to it is that it is essentially a catalytic converter, and you don't get smoked out.

It says you can place it directly on wooden deck, so in a fire hazard sense it should be good, but it is not actually 3" off the ground which many agencies stipulate. I'd figure out what you're going to place under, like some 3" sections of frame tubing to be sure. It is bulky and has no tie down points. I am not sure it will ever come on the raft, but it could be loaded with fire wood on the front end and carry trash out on the back end, so the space wouldn't be wasted.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
'I will admit to having purchased this thing on kickstarter back in the winter."

Dave Frank posted the above.

Dave, Thanks for speaking up. I am (probably same as you) some one who loves to mess with new gizmo devices. My boat shed has a stack of them that looked interesting but did not work out.

But, I also have hit home runs on quite a few gizmos.

Doubt if I will ever stop buying this kind of stuff. Interesting looking Dutch Ovens and river tables being almost impossible for me to not buy and try.

Dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote